Wood stove liner and thimble question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jotun

Sep 18, 2019
MD
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a home with an existing wood stove (basement) and fireplace. I have never owned a wood stove before; my last house had a pellet stove with a stainless steel liner somewhat similar to this setup though. Both the wood stove and main level fireplace have issues that we were made aware of before purchasing, but I'm looking for some more information about the wood stove for now. It is an older Timberline single door stove.

The stove is free standing, with the black stove pipe going into an 8" (outer diameter) clay thimble. The thimble is cracking and needs to be replaced (not to mention everything needs to be cleaned badly), and is roughly three feet deep where it then reaches a stainless liner.

There is a 6" (or possibly 5.5") stainless steel liner in the chimney. It looks to me like there is a stainless steel tee that only extends a short distance into the clay thimble . Is this common? If so, how should the clay thimble and stainless tee be connected? Or if the stainless steel pipe should extend all the way through the clay thimble, how would it connect to the black stove pipe?

I've attached some pictures I took, there is a rear access door on the brick chimney so I am able to at least see the back of everything. I'd appreciate any info... thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0492_StoveProfile.jpg
    IMG_0492_StoveProfile.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0487_thimble.jpg
    IMG_0487_thimble.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0489_rear.jpg
    IMG_0489_rear.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0491_rear2.jpg
    IMG_0491_rear2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 319
The stainless should extend through the crock into the room. But honestly the stainless looks pretty rough I would have it inspected by a pro with a camera to look for failures

The stainless should extend through the crock into the room. But honestly the stainless looks pretty rough I would have it inspected by a pro with a camera to look for failures

Thanks for the reply. How should the stainless steel snout properly transition from inside the wall to the external black pipe?

Thanks for the reply. How should the stainless steel snout properly transition from inside the wall to the external black pipe?
It shouldn't transition to Black pipe inside the wall. The stainless should be extended out of the wall where it would then transition to Black pipe

It shouldn't transition to Black pipe inside the wall. The stainless should be extended out of the wall where it would then transition to Black pipe

Sorry I guess I didn’t word that properly. Does the black stove pipe just slip over the stainless where it comes out of the wall, or is there some kind of adapter piece?

Sorry I guess I didn’t word that properly. Does the black stove pipe just slip over the stainless where it comes out of the wall, or is there some kind of adapter piece?
Yeah pretty much