Wood stove or pellet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Flame On

Sep 25, 2008
Southeast PA
My in-laws can't do the firewood shuffle. They thought that pellets were the answer, but ended up being a bit put off by all the electronics and moving parts. I suggested a wood stove with biobricks... Thoughts?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My thought is maybe it's better to let them heat their house their way.

Last edited:
A wood stove using biobricks is certainly a viable option. Its no more expensive than pellets thats for sure.

How bout a direct vent gas stove? Particularly if they have natural gas available. Even LP would be comparable to pellets in cost, but without handling those 50lb bags!

Reactions: Highbeam
Rambler, thanks for the info on cost. I wasn't sure if one might be higher than the other.
Mitchell, that thing is interesting. I will pass the link along.
Webby, no gas in street. The other BIL suggested LP tank because he had one in his old house. Gas fireplaces do put out some great heat. This may be the answer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You have to watch with the bio bricks, especially in the northeast, it seems as though most of the readily available bricks now at days suck because a cheap large company bought out some small manufactures that were making a good product.

The BioBricks you guys mentioned... do Qualiflame, Enviro-log, Duraflame compressed fire logs all fall under this category and are okay to use in wood stoves?

-most of these, if not all, can be found readily at Lowes.

Reactions: mitchell721
The ones you want for a stove do not have any additives in them. some of those others are quite pricy Boi bricks or Eco brix , Liberty bricks, Enviro bricks, Red stone at TSC, Fiber fuel, Menards has some brand name varies 2.79/20lbs but I do not think they are in your area. There are some others more regional

I wouldn't bother with the bio bricks. They are no easier to load, handle, start, than firewood. Why bother? Yes, I've used them. They are a solution when you run out of firewood for some reason and still need heat from a woodstove. They can be a solution if your price for firewood is very high.

They told you they don't like pellet stoves.

Get a gas stove on the hearth in place of the woodstove. These are silent, thermostatic, zero effort involved, works in power outage, works for extended periods if they leave the house on vacation, the flames look okay, quite safe, no dust/ash/dirt/bugs, and the heat is radiant so it feels good to old bones. LP tank outside. The whole shebang is probably cheaper than a pellet stove anyway.