Wood stove patio build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I'm in the designing stage if making an outdoor fireplace for outdoor use. I will be wrapping my old US stove 27 in stone and putting the structure on wheels. I will only be using this off the decks, I cannot risk having an ember falling through the deck. A few questions.

1. I'm unsure whether I should mount the stone tight together or leave gaps for heat radiation.
2. Can I use regular paving cement (will it stick to metal)?
3. Anything else I should consider?

I'm in the designing stage if making an outdoor fireplace for outdoor use. I will be wrapping my old US stove 27 in stone and putting the structure on wheels. I will only be using this off the decks, I cannot risk having an ember falling through the deck. A few questions.

1. I'm unsure whether I should mount the stone tight together or leave gaps for heat radiation.
2. Can I use regular paving cement (will it stick to metal)?
3. Anything else I should consider?

The metal stove will expand cracking any type of stone work you put in contact with it. Figure a one inch air space between the stones and stove. Look at the instructions for installing a heatilator to get an idea.

What type of stones are you figuring??? I can imagine a metal framework being built to hold cut slabs of stone dry laid to allow for movement such as polished granite or soapstone. I can't imagine a design that calls for mortar to stick to metal working at all.

I was thinking pavers, ~3x5x1. Didn't think about expansion, thanks. I have the base from one of those fire pits, pretty heavy, if the stove fits in it, I could use it to hold the stone.

I can't imagine that stove and all that stone on wheels .Weight wise , you have to be around 400 lbs.

I can't imagine that stove and all that stone on wheels .Weight wise , you have to be around 400 lbs.

Well, I guess I can attach some heavy duty wheels to the base of the fire pit I have. I can move it with my tractor if I need to, but that would be rare..

Status
Not open for further replies.