New member hello, and questions on outdoor fireplace build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sclearman

Oct 5, 2023
kaufman county texas
Hello from Texas. I've been lurking a bit and trying to find some answers. Finally joined since this forum looks like the place to find answers. I'm very much a do-it-myself guy, I built my own home for example.

My latest project in the planning stage is an outdoor patio with fireplace. I live in a rural area, I own 27 acres, can't see another house from mine. Our plan is a patio about 20-30 feet from the house and not connected. Looking at about a 20x24 concrete slab with a 'timber-frame style' build for a covered roof, open on all sides. I would like a wood burning fireplace on one end, I'm thinking a 48" or larger fireplace. My thought is to do a masonry build with cinder blocks, fire brick liner, and stone or fake stone exterior for looks. Probably something like a Texas limestone look. I am also in the process of getting information from a 'pre-cast' manufacturer to purchase the box and flue.

I'm still researching some specifics such as concrete slab thickness requirements and a few other things. I've looked for 'do-it-yourself' books but they don't really give me the details I'm looking for. At this point, I'm not even sure what it is I don't know and need to find out.

I'm looking for guidance, and suggestions from folks here.

Do a lot of planning first including orienting the fireplace wrt the prevailing wind. A big fireplace opening is going to need a big flue diameter.

A search on "outdoor fireplac" in this forum will bring up several threads. Here's a starter.

Thank you. Some of my specific questions are:
  • What stone/concrete is suitable for the structure? Cinder block I'm pretty sure of. what other brick or stone?
  • Specially what stone or brick to avoid?
  • outside of being sure to have a smoke chamber, does the design of a smoke chamber matter? I know it could be to small, but can it be too big?
  • I'm aware of the chimney ratio idea of 10:1 of firebox opening. Can the chimney be too large?

Using local stone often helps it fit in nicely.
To get it right the first time consider getting a kit and then putting on the stone veneer of your choice. A local masonry and stone supply store can help with this.

If this were me.. personally Id do the precast.. youll need to rent a lift to move the sections around and put the sections together.. the largest section will be the bottom weighting roughly 3000 lbs.. then skim coat and do a stone veneer.. you have tons of options with the veneer..