Wood stove purchase – Tax credit or Rebate??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad101

Sep 9, 2009
Erie, MI
I’m using turbo tax to complete my 2009 taxes. I just entered the costs of my wood stove purchase under the “home energy credits”. According to turbo tax...I’m not getting a return for my $4000 stove purchase..WTF!?

Is this a rebate (i.e. 30% of purchase costs are returned to the buyer – a check I can take to the bank) or is this a credit (i.e. you owe the IRS $xxx.xx – (minus) 30% of your energy efficient purchase). And if the 30% exceeds what you owe…you get nothing??

Because if this is a "credit" my wood stove dealer is going to get an ear full from me tomorrow. I was told it’s a rebate when I purchased the stove, not a credit…maybe I’m not filling out the correct forms?

Credit, you should get something back unless you do not pay any tax. We received the full 30% back on our 4000 worth of stove, pipe, chimney and hearth pad.

Not to steal this thread, but if I read correctly this is only on primary residence so my camp purchase does not count correct?

Correct. No credit if this is for a secondary residence.

hct4all said:
Not to steal this thread, but if I read correctly this is only on primary residence so my camp purchase does not count correct?

You're fine

I figured it out. My fiance is a waitress so she doesn't pay allot of taxes. I on the other hand payed through the nose for income taxes. I put the credit on my account and got the full 30% back.

Status
Not open for further replies.