Wood stove recommendation for 1400sqf home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stagolee104

Nov 16, 2018
Hi, I have a Vermont casting insert that was in the home when we bought it 3 years ago. I would like to replace it with a wood stove because I don’t want to rely on the fan and also I can’t stand the constant sound of the fan in our main living space. We have 1400sqf cape with cathedral ceilings and the chimney located in the center of the house, with a fan right above. I’m not sure what I should replace it with, I don’t have a ton of cash on has to spend because our wedding is in September but I would love to replace it this year so I don’t have to deal with the fan. I would love some reconditioned

33E3F221-055A-4385-9204-903727C6E8FF.jpeg 137E8DD0-2AD0-4A6A-8D4A-499CCAC23581.jpeg

What model Vermont Castings is this? Is this a Merrimack? Is it noisy even on low speed? Sometimes a noisy blower can be due to it being out of balance due to accumulated dust, pet hairs, etc. A thorough cleaning can sometimes help and oiling.

Do you know what the lintel height is for the fireplace?

What model Vermont Castings is this? Is this a Merrimack? Is it noisy even on low speed? Sometimes a noisy blower can be due to it being out of balance due to accumulated dust, pet hairs, etc. A thorough cleaning can sometimes help and oiling.

Do you know what the lintel height is for the fireplace?
Yes the Merrimack, It’s pretty much always noisy i’ve taken the blower out several times and cleaned the dust, pet hair out of it and it’s still pretty noisy. The bower is always running on high or it won’t put out enough heat. It’s actually a nice stove except for the fan noise. It has a pretty big fire box I’ve been really happy with it except for the fan. I’m not sure of the height

Yes, I suspect most of the heat is pocketing at the cathedral ceiling peak, even with the ceiling fan running.
Is there a block-off plate sealing off the damper area? If not, that can be a source of heat loss. If there is none, putting one in could let the insert blower run at a lower speed and still produce good heat.

Yes, I suspect most of the heat is pocketing at the cathedral ceiling peak, even with the ceiling fan running.
Is there a block-off plate sealing off the damper area? If not, that can be a source of heat loss. If there is none, putting one in could let the insert blower run at a lower speed and still produce good heat.
I’m not sure I’ve never taken the stove out before or looked if there is one. At this point we both want a wood stove and to sell this insert and not improve on the one we have. The fan is just to noisy and I don’t want worry about the fan going off if we loose power.

I’m not sure I’ve never taken the stove out before or looked if there is one. At this point we both want a wood stove and to sell this insert and not improve on the one we have. The fan is just to noisy and I don’t want worry about the fan going off if we loose power.
But it is very possible you could greatly improve the heat output even without the fan with a good block off plate. And regardless if you stick a stove in the fireplace you are still going to need a fan to get the heat out of the box. Have you considered simply replacing the fan? We are not saying you shouldn't replace the insert if that is really what you want. Just pointing out that you may be able to address the issues without doing that.

But it is very possible you could greatly improve the heat output even without the fan with a good block off plate. And regardless if you stick a stove in the fireplace you are still going to need a fan to get the heat out of the box. Have you considered simply replacing the fan? We are not saying you shouldn't replace the insert if that is really what you want. Just pointing out that you may be able to address the issues without doing that.
That’s good to know I’ll look into a block off plate and just replacing the fan, I’m might be wrong but I think I read somewhere that the channel that the air moves is not large enough for the amount of air at the blower moves creating some back pressure and increasing the volume of the fan. Wouldn’t the wood stove sit on the hearth and not in the fireplace?

This insert would be ok to run if the power is out, but then almost all of the heat with gather at the cathedral ceiling peak with no ceiling fan to help circulation.

Do you know what the lintel height is of the fireplace? A rear vent stove's flue connection will need to clear under the lintel. If it sits out on the hearth, there will need to be ember protection on top of the wood flooring. If the lintel is high enough a top vented stove may be able to fit in there allowing it to be somewhat recessed into the fireplace cavity.

This is a great-looking fireplace insert. It projects a bit into the room which would help it heat without a fan running in the case of a power outage. What will be visually acceptable for a replacement? There are some are basic black boxes and others are fancier cast iron or soapstone stoves.

That’s good to know I’ll look into a block off plate and just replacing the fan, I’m might be wrong but I think I read somewhere that the channel that the air moves is not large enough for the amount of air at the blower moves creating some back pressure and increasing the volume of the fan. Wouldn’t the wood stove sit on the hearth and not in the fireplace?
We have several customers with Merrimacks that are very pleased with them.

Yes it may be able to sit on the hearth. The issues involved were covered pretty well by begreen

This insert would be ok to run if the power is out, but then almost all of the heat with gather at the cathedral ceiling peak with no ceiling fan to help circulation.

Do you know what the lintel height is of the fireplace? A rear vent stove's flue connection will need to clear under the lintel. If it sits out on the hearth, there will need to be ember protection on top of the wood flooring. If the lintel is high enough a top vented stove may be able to fit in there allowing it to be somewhat recessed into the fireplace cavity.

This is a great-looking fireplace insert. It projects a bit into the room which would help it heat without a fan running in the case of a power outage. What will be visually acceptable for a replacement? There are some are basic black boxes and others are fancier cast iron or soapstone stoves.
Definitely, wood is our main source of heat and have run it with the power out before. Unfortunately the top of the insert where our tea kettle is sitting does not get very hot. It won’t boil water and I can put my hand on it and not get burnt.
I would like it to be on the hearth and not in the fire place as much as possible so ember perfection on the floor is no problem.

I agree we both love the look of the stove and the Large glass doors.
I’m not sure what to replace it with but something with a more traditional look to match out house, doesn’t need to be soapstone cast iron or steel would be fine

Need to have the lintel height to proceed, but the Woodstock Ideal Steel is what comes to mind.