Wood Stove recommendation for 650 sq ft cabin Northern BC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Freyanorth

Aug 12, 2022
Smithers BC
CONFUSION!!
I have a 650 sq ft log cabin in Northern BC near Smithers. Elevation 520 metres/1706 metres. Temperatures can get to -40 degrees Celsius in winter. Cabin is open, with 2 lofts on either side of cabin. Small addition on back of bathroom and laundry behind one log wall. I was looking at Blaze King Sirocco 20.2 and Chinook 20.2 on recommendation from a local heating company that will be doing installation, but then spoke with a different company that said those would be too big. That I would not be getting the full benefit of the technology because I would have to have small fires. With supply and demand issues and living far north I am getting worried about this purchase. Can folks here recommend a good stove for this size cabin that will burn through night ? Wood stove in photos is not there anymore.

037A28D8-A9B3-4BCD-ADE3-FB6AE2480EAD_4_5005_c.jpeg D68A5DFC-6F3C-48D9-B27E-9B711B201DDA_4_5005_c.jpeg 6E361FEF-517B-4B83-AFD0-5D5FF7D9AB92_4_5005_c.jpeg

Last edited:
The loft area and cathedral ceiling make the cubic footage being heated much greater than a 650 sq ft space with an 8ft ceiling.

Is the space currently heated with the red Efel (Kaminette?) stove year-round? If so, the BK should work ok, but I would consider the Chinook/Sirocco 30.2 instead. The bigger stove will not get hotter unless you want it to, but it will have a bigger fuel tank for a longer burntime.

Last edited:
I think the first company is correct. The BK stoves will heat that space well. I also agree with begreen, that you should look at 30 series, or the princess instead. The heat output on low is much the same, but you'll get longer burn times.

There is a myriad of non-catalytic stoves we could recommend, but the reality is with a smaller space it is easy to overheat the space and the temperatures will fluctuate more without regular attention to the damper. Further to that not many of them turn down lower than the BKs anyway.

Smithers is a beautiful place, and looks like you have a fine place to enjoy it in.

I think the first company is correct. The BK stoves will heat that space well. I also agree with begreen, that you should look at 30 series, or the princess instead. The heat output on low is much the same, but you'll get longer burn times.

There is a myriad of non-catalytic stoves we could recommend, but the reality is with a smaller space it is easy to overheat the space and the temperatures will fluctuate more without regular attention to the damper. Further to that not many of them turn down lower than the BKs anyway.

Smithers is a beautiful place, and looks like you have a fine place to enjoy it in.
Thank you so much. I appreciate your input. I am leaning toward the Sirrocco

The loft area and cathedral ceiling make the cubic footage being heated much greater than a 650 sq ft space with an 8ft ceiling.

Is the space currently heated with the red Efel (Kaminette?) stove year-round? If so, the BK should work ok, but I would consider the Chinook/Sirocco 30.2 instead. The bigger stove will not get hotter unless you want it to, but it will have a bigger fuel tank for a longer burntime.
The red stove was used by previous owner and she took it with her. We are looking to replace with a high quality stove but not to be overheated. What I like about BK is that you can turn them down or build a smaller fire. I appreciate your input ! Thank you.

Reactions: dafattkidd
The red stove was used by previous owner and she took it with her. We are looking to replace with a high quality stove but not to be overheated. What I like about BK is that you can turn them down or build a smaller fire. I appreciate your input ! Thank you.
That Efel was a decent sized heater. I would not be afraid to put a good sized stove in there. A BK stove will work well. In non-cat, a 2 cu ft PE Super or Alderlea T5 would also work fine. The operator controls the amount of heat with the amount of wood added and air supplied to the fire.

On the coldest nights I’d rather have a bigger firebox. Really I think 2.0 cu ft is the minimum for a 6-8 hour burn and that might be running it lower/slower than the heating demand. The BK 30 would be my choice.

Do you have 6” flue now?

Nice looking cabin! I have a 600sq ft log cabin with high ceilings and loft heating it with a Jotul F45 that has a 2.4 cu ft fire box and I think it is sized nicely for my cabin. I believe the Sirroco 20 is close to 2 cu ft firebox so you should be ok. Probably could consider the next size up since the Blaze Kings can be turned down so low. I think I would just to get those longer burns especially if your burning a lot of soft woods.

On the coldest nights I’d rather have a bigger firebox. Really I think 2.0 cu ft is the minimum for a 6-8 hour burn and that might be running it lower/slower than the heating demand. The BK 30 would be my choice.

Do you have 6” flue now?

No, the 20 Sirocco can burn for 20 hrs or so. On it's lowest output.

No, the 20 Sirocco can burn for 20 hrs or so. On it's lowest output.

While this is true, the OP lives at 55 degrees latitude like I do. Which means this stove will be fed softwoods, and if it's lucky might get some white birch or tamarack. Getting 20 hour burns on this wood is going to be hard to achieve, especially at a heat output high enough to overcome the heat loss of the cabin in the depths of winter.

While log cabins are beautiful, their heat loss rates are higher than modern code built homes, I wouldn't find it unreasonable for this cabin to loose 30k - 35k btu/h at -40 temperatures. An output that puts the Sirocco 20.2 at less than an 8hr burn time.

Compared to the 20.2, a Sirocco 30.2 has almost the same low output, has a larger firebox for longer burns, and has a higher output for heating on the coldest days. If this was my cabin it would be getting a 30.2.

Wood; yes. Good point.

Heat need: the op thinks he needs a small stove. The dealers too. They can both be wrong. I don't know; I haven't lived there.

but 2 cu ft is the minimum for 6-8 hr burn is just not correct for a Sirocco (not running on max), and that is what I was responding to.

Reactions: Hoytman
Is this a weekend cabin that will go to ambient temperature during the week? Will you have any other forms of heat? Are the walls stick built with log veneer or are they full logs? Construction and use make a huge difference in the stove you choose.

Here is what works for me in an Adirondack cabin, 16x29 ft or just under 500 sq ft. My cabin is only used weekends in the winter and has only heated in the mid -20sF. It may get colder,, but I havent had to heat it.. I have to deal with a horrible wind whipping down a lake though. My ceilings are 7 feet.

When I walk into the cold cabin I have to start the stove. It has to heat up itself, then the very cold structure. Using the stove itself would take a very long time. I use other heat sources to help out a bit. I have a couple electric space heaters, a propane sunflower heater that'll put out 15k btu, and I can turn on the propane range/stove too. This'll get the air up to temp fast, but I'm still fighting thermal mass in the stick built structure. It takes time toheat up. I run a Pacific Energy T5. Its 2 cubic foot firebox does a great job. It can be a little big for warmer weather. There are ways of dealing with this issue though. I cheat a little when its cold by heating the main room 12x16, then open doors to back rooms. This helps me heat up faster.

You have a much different cabin since your volume is so much greater. You also get colder. If you are walking into a cold cabin you're going to need a monster stove to warm the thermal mass of a full log cabin at -40. (Choose C or F! Its equally miserable, literally!) If you're living there full time and/or have alternate heat like propane to keep it above freezing while you aren't there a much smaller stove will work.

The details on construction and use are really important in choosing the right stove.

While this is true, the OP lives at 55 degrees latitude like I do. Which means this stove will be fed softwoods, and if it's lucky might get some white birch or tamarack. Getting 20 hour burns on this wood is going to be hard to achieve, especially at a heat output high enough to overcome the heat loss of the cabin in the depths of winter.

While log cabins are beautiful, their heat loss rates are higher than modern code built homes, I wouldn't find it unreasonable for this cabin to loose 30k - 35k btu/h at -40 temperatures. An output that puts the Sirocco 20.2 at less than an 8hr burn time.

Compared to the 20.2, a Sirocco 30.2 has almost the same low output, has a larger firebox for longer burns, and has a higher output for heating on the coldest days. If this was my cabin it would be getting a 30.2.
Yes, that was my thought. If a cat stove needs to be continually run at a high rate then the advantages of the cat stove notably diminish. Thus the suggestion for the 30.2 or a non-cat stove.

Reactions: stoveliker