Wood stove size help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sivart1911

Jan 27, 2019
Montana
I have a Englander 13 1800sq feet stove with a 1.8 cf firebox& my house is about 1100 sq feet& i was going to upgrade to a Drolet Escape 1800 with a 2.4 fire box 2100 sq feet or the Drolet Baltic ll with 3.4 fire box 2400 sq feet but I'll be building an addition this spring that will be another 500 sq feet. Right now i have issues keeping it warm at night& waking up with no coals to start a new fire. Will the Baltic ll be to big or should i go with the Escape? I love the burn time on the Baltic& cooktop but wonder if the size will be to much. The Escape has a top heat exchanger but smaller cook surface. I just want to make sure i get the right one& not be over whelmed with to much heat but dont want to have not enough. Thanks

"You can build a smaller fire in a bigger stove, but you can't build a bigger fire in a smaller stove!"

I lean towards bigger. If you're not at least a bit oversized, there will be some Montana winter nights that make you wish you had gone bigger.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
"You can build a smaller fire in a bigger stove, but you can't build a bigger fire in a smaller stove!"

I lean towards bigger. If you're not at least a bit oversized, there will be some Montana winter nights that make you wish you had gone bigger.

Jetsam you are absolutely right& I've seen& felt -76 windchill here before years ago& wish i had a bigger one then. Thanks for the reply