Wood Stove Stand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

farmer_luke

Oct 7, 2022
Kansas
20221024_154808.jpg

We had our local steel fab shop make this stand that we intend to place our newly purchased Quadra-Fire 4300 stove on. It's 52" wide by 44" deep and made of 3/16" steel with two 3/16" thick by 2" flat supports underneath. Painted with high-temp paint. The stove calls for a Type 1 floor protector. I think the stand will meet or exceed required dimensions to the sides and back of the stove, not sure about in front yet. Will the stand meet the requirements for a type 1 floor protector? I guess what I'm wondering is can we do whatever we want and meet code under the stand? Recommendations on what to do in front if we need more floor protection out there? We intend to put firewood under the stand. We might make a divider so wood can't go so far back that it's a pain to get out.

View attachment 301309

We had our local steel fab shop make this stand that we intend to place our newly purchased Quadra-Fire 4300 stove on. It's 52" wide by 44" deep and made of 3/16" steel with two 3/16" thick by 2" flat supports underneath. Painted with high-temp paint. The stove calls for a Type 1 floor protector. I think the stand will meet or exceed required dimensions to the sides and back of the stove, not sure about in front yet. Will the stand meet the requirements for a type 1 floor protector? I guess what I'm wondering is can we do whatever we want and meet code under the stand? Recommendations on what to do in front if we need more floor protection out there? We intend to put firewood under the stand. We might make a divider so wood can't go so far back that it's a pain to get out.
Does that quad require ember protection only?

Does that quad require ember protection only?
This is what the manual says:
A. Hearth Protection Requirements
FLOOR PROTECTION: Floor protector must be non-com-
bustible material, extending beneath heater and to the front,
sides and rear as indicated. The floor must be non-com-
bustible or otherwise adequately protected from radiant heat
given off by the unit and from sparks and falling embers. A
layer of thin brick or ceramic tile over a combustible floor is
not sufficient.
For US installations, it is necessary to install a floor protector
of a minimum of 3/8 inch (9.5mm) thick metal clad millboard
or equivalent a minimum of 16 inches (406mm) in front of
glass and 8 inches (203mm) to both sides of the fuel loading
door. Open the door and measure 8 inches (203mm) from
the side edge of the opening in the face of the appliance.

So, our stand isn't going to cut it where it's 3/16" thick and manual calls for at least 3/8".

Quadrafire's documentation for this spec is archaic. This equates to R=1.19. The steel offers no insulative protection, though it will greatly slow down radiant energy. The air gap below it does. An inch of free air space provides R=1.43 so this should be ok, though technically the firewood should remain 1" away from the underside of the base.
If the stove is placed on the base so that there is at least 16" of base in front of the stove door then it meets the minimum requirements. In Canada, this minimum is 18".

Quadrafire's documentation for this spec is archaic. This equates to R=1.19. The steel offers no insulative protection, though it will greatly slow down radiant energy. The air gap below it does. An inch of free air space provides R=1.43 so this should be ok, though technically the firewood should remain 1" away from the underside of the base.
If the stove is placed on the base so that there is at least 16" of base in front of the stove door then it meets the minimum requirements. In Canada, this minimum is 18".
Yes my only concern is that they want to store wood under it. Meaning it won't be free air space

Yes my only concern is that they want to store wood under it. Meaning it won't be free air space
I think we'll need about 10" of floor protection out in front to get the 16" in front of the stove door. Where we used to have a woodstove there was a tile-on-top-of-cement-board hearth pad but I'm wanting to make sure we're code compliant with this. I'm not familiar with micore which was recommended by the chimney sweep/installer. The little bit of research I've done on micore sounds like you can't tile directly on top? You need cement board on top of the micore to tile? I'm thinking we'll do a hearth pad the same size as the stove stand plus a foot or so out in front but would appreciate thoughts on code compliance for what goes under the tile (if that's what we go with). Also, I'd like the hearth pad to be about level with the carpet around it. I'm not sure how thick carpet plus carpet pad is?

With the added stove door height, the full insulation value probably is not needed, but unfortunately, the raised stand is uncommon, so no documentation. That said, I suspect a simple black Hy-C pad would suffice.

Can you give me more info about R values? You mention 1" of airspace equates to an R of 1.43 but what specifically are we striving for? I don't think the Hy-C pad is the look we're going for but I appreciate the info, I wasn't familiar with that product. I'm also hoping to get the floor protector done before the installer comes back in two weeks so ordering something online might not work unless they ship quickly. I see that our closest Home Depot has 1/2" thick Durock cement board. I'm wondering about using two sheets of that with tile on top. One possible negative is the two sheets part since it wouldn't be a continuous protector at that point right?