Wood Stove Technology Coupled with Off Grid Lifestyle.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Hey guys,
I'm just curious where technology is at right now and if you see a future in creating electricity, maintaining appliances, running a water heater, etc..with some sort of wood stove generator.

Will technology get us to the point where we can move off of the grid and sustain a modern life style while generating power with common firewood?

Maybe firewood coupled with solar panels? Any thoughts?

Reactions: 7acres
not enough demand, build you own steam turbine and feed it with wood..........

I think the first issues with generating electricity (from wood) are the laws of thermodynamics which result normally in energy conversion of one source to another of about 33%, with a little over 50% achievable with some pretty high tech engineering and CHP applications. Research is continuing on a number of fronts for small scale electric generation from woody biomass fuel. Have to wait to see whether it becomes feasible at the homeowner scale.

Reactions: JA600L
At 4.5 cu mtrs per day consumption this is going to eat a lot of chips, but not a big deal if you are in the business I guess. What is the source of the chip wood? I wonder what are the emissions from a setup like this?

more info here: http://www.volter.fi/

Last edited:
Emissions for the 40kwe machine are supposed to be less than natural gas. From the sales brochure NOx 500 mg/Nm3 ,PM10 15mg/Nm3, Sulphur 50 mg/Nm3. The ash is collected in a 45 gall drum and needs emptying once every 3 months. The woodchip will be from forest brash with the round wood used for logs. The quality of woodchip for this machine is critical with moisture content less than 18% and we will screen out the fines which we will still use for wood pellet production.

Status
Not open for further replies.