Wood stove tied into my baseboard heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

a4guy256

Jan 2, 2018
New Jersey
I currently supplement my oil boiler heat at home (appox 1000 sf) using a Vermont Casting Intrepide II wood stove evenings and on the weekend. It works great to heat the living room where it's located, but the rst of the house just gets colder. Here is my idea. I was thinking of installing 2 6" x 18" radiators behind my stove on either side of the catolitic converter (or one 8" X 16" begin the converter section). I was then going to tied it directly into my base board heating on one side of the stove. I have very easy access in the basement to the plumbing. Along with this I was going to install a second circulation pump that I could independently control from the living room. To control the pressure, I would install a pressure relief value along with a bypass with shut off values for the whole thing as a safety precaution. I figured the existing expansion tank on the boiler would be sufficient and the pressure relief valve on the boiler would be a back up. A thermostat and pressure gauge that would be viewable from behind the stove would also be installed. I haven't yet gotten a data logger with thermocouples to check what the temps are behind all these spots, but just wondering if anybody had any thoughts or suggestions,. Thanks!

For a next step I would very quietly look at the various regulations in your jurisdiction.

What you have is an engineering problem and a logical approach, but you are far enough east that having a PE sign off on your plan and paying a hefty fee for a permit is pretty likely. Probably void the warranty on your stove too.

One the cheapskate side, can you feel any air leaks on your exterior walls in the current weather? Receptacles, light switches, window frames, that sort of thing? If you look outdoors, where have you got frost accumulations on your exterior walls?

If you got even R-15 walls and your leaks controlled, maybe a box fan or two, you should have no trouble turning 1000sqft into a roasting oven.

There was at least one thread in the last couple days where a member here had been running his wood burner so hard that the hot water baseboard loop nearest the wood heater froze. It just hadn't been cool enough in that area for the thermostat to kick the circulating pump on, so no water circulation, but the water pipe was right up against the cold exterior wall...

I have a link on here where I explain the install I have on my stove heating water through a coil. If I understand correctly you are planning on having your coils outside of the stove but near to it? Is your boiler set up on-demand or does it stay warm when not in use? You do not need a second pump, the existing pump will do the job fine, likely better than if you try running two pumps. The pump should be controlled with a solar thermal controller, they are available and easy to install. You should be getting very little extra thermal expansion than you currently get with the boiler already, but being ready for it is always a good idea. I think you will be disappointed in the small amount of heat gain and could actually have a heat loss if your boiler stays hot and is not set up for on-demand.

For a next step I would very quietly look at the various regulations in your jurisdiction.

There was at least one thread in the last couple days where a member here had been running his wood burner so hard that the hot water baseboard loop nearest the wood heater froze. It just hadn't been cool enough in that area for the thermostat to kick the circulating pump on, so no water circulation, but the water pipe was right up against the cold exterior wall...

I feel like if you want to do something in your own home go for it. But I agree that the ROI on this will take a long time. A few fans and sealing up cracks will probably be better use of time and money.

I filled my baseboard system with glycol and have it checked every year because my house is a converted summer bungalow with limited insulation. Sometimes the heat never kicks on if we are home for the weekend and able to keep the fire going.

I was recently at a train museum and they had a gravity fed system that was placed behind the stove so it would warm up, then flowed down to warm up the caboose. I could not see where the water ended up, but it must have gone somewhere!

I was recently at a train museum and they had a gravity fed system that was placed behind the stove so it would warm up, then flowed down to warm up the caboose. I could not see where the water ended up, but it must have gone somewhere!
I am guessing that it was set up for hot water, not as a hydronic heat system. In these systems (passive) they have a coil in the stove and a tank sitting higher than the stove. The water heats, then rises up into the tank. The cold water in the bottom of the tank will then drop into the stove and continue the cycle. Warm water for bathing of hand washing is drawn out of the top of the tank.

I am guessing that it was set up for hot water, not as a hydronic heat system. In these systems (passive) they have a coil in the stove and a tank sitting higher than the stove. The water heats, then rises up into the tank. The cold water in the bottom of the tank will then drop into the stove and continue the cycle. Warm water for bathing of hand washing is drawn out of the top of the tank.
makes sense that way. in such a small space, the stove was probably for heating and cooking :)

There is a very similar thread that I just posted to. I know someone who has done something similar and has done it for years. Its just getting the details right that is the tough part.

Thank you all for the info, very interesting and a lot to think about, I really appreciate every one taking the time. A general follow up, I hooked up a data logger with thermo couplers about an inch from the back of the stove, one under it, same distance, one on the flue for a reference and one for ambient.
The one under the stove only got slightly above ambient, but the one on the back registered 213-239 degrees. This was with the stove running around 350 degrees. I do have R-15 in the walls with 5/8" sheet rock, and R-30 in the ceiling with the same in half my house, the rest is just old plaster with no insulation. All the rooms that have been done have every nook and cranny sealed. My boiler is also used for my hot water so it's on all the time regardless. Thanks again!