wood stove to mini-boiler and forced air shop heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylekyote

Sep 26, 2013
I have this medium sized non-ul stove. I want to use it in my new shop/greenhouse and activity room (man retreat). About 20' wide by 25' long.

Picture attached of stove. The 8" pipe is on the back of the unit. That little square party on top is a little heat box area in upper firebox. 00h0h_a4ioLIZTcnu_600x450.jpg

How might i do the conversion? What i need from it is a 2 to 6" flex ducting that comes out of furnace and will be pushed by the unit's existing fan, or upgraded blower. So i can supply heat by the tube to work projects or other side of greenhouse. Like a big hair dryer.

For hot water i thought i could coil copper pipe inside upper chamber of stove and use an old water heater or cistern to supply water and circulate with a 12v battery pump powered by solar panel i have and car battery. The system would not be closed. It would be solely to warm the water and keep it more humid in the greenhouse. There would be no need for pressure safety vent equip that way, if open air. If i ever wanted to not warm the water tank i could open a connection between the stove and tank.

Has anyone seen something like this before? I haven't found this yet online, not like this idea.

Can copper pipe inside the upper firebox withstand 1,000degree firebox temp this stove likely reaches?

Melting point of copper (if you don't have any joints in there that are joined with solder or brazing) is 1,984°F / 1,085°C per the internet, which is probably congruent with more official sources. If you don't keep the pipe full of water (which will keep it's temperature down in the 200F range) you will probably destroy it with scaling (oxidation) if not actual melting. Then again, having a cold element (which, from a fire's point of view, 200F is) too early in the flame path also serves as a collector of creosote and an impediment to complete combustion.

Thanks that is good to know! Is there a way to do this task that observes all the factors i need to? I want to make a mini part-time water heating source as well as have a part-time forced air output as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.