Wood stove to oval adapter...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gyryup

Jan 8, 2021
California / Oregon
I have an older Heat King wood burning insert. It has a rectangular flue output (approx. 22" x 3"). Would like to make or have built an adapter that would go from this rectangular shape to 6" ovalized double wall stainless steel liner-pipe. Oval would transition to 6" round. Round would be insulated and go up to top of chimney and capped there. Really don't want to do any of this, but was told not to run a fire in the fireplace because it was poorly designed (way back in the 80's, I believe) and could start a house fire... Thoughts? Adapter design considerations? Advisable at all? I'm thinking that double wall SS, insulated pipe inside existing chimney would not overheat the chimney, etc. Appreciate any input!

IMG_7262.JPG IMG_7263.JPG IMG_7264.JPG

I have an older Heat King wood burning insert. It has a rectangular flue output (approx. 22" x 3"). Would like to make or have built an adapter that would go from this rectangular shape to 6" ovalized double wall stainless steel liner-pipe. Oval would transition to 6" round. Round would be insulated and go up to top of chimney and capped there. Really don't want to do any of this, but was told not to run a fire in the fireplace because it was poorly designed (way back in the 80's, I believe) and could start a house fire... Thoughts? Adapter design considerations? Advisable at all? I'm thinking that double wall SS, insulated pipe inside existing chimney would not overheat the chimney, etc. Appreciate any input!

View attachment 271543 View attachment 271544 View attachment 271545
You need an 8" liner for that stove not 6" and you probably are not allowed to install it in your state.