Wood stove with new liner - boom noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys, the day has come - I finally had my proper liner installed today on my wood stove insert! I don't care if it's 80F out, I have a fire going and it seems to be working beautifully now!

This is my first time with a wood stove. It's doing a lot of pinging, which seems normal and sounds like my pellet stove. However, about an hour into burning, every few minutes I'm hearing a quiet "boom" sound here and there. Almost sounds like a car door shutting.

Is this normal? I read online of puff backs but I've watched, when this happens there is no visual clue to it. Just a sound here and there.

Appreciate the info!

Let the new stove settle in. My house creaks and pops when it heats up too.

Let the new stove settle in. My house creaks and pops when it heats up too.

Thanks for the feedback. I can tell I was being a worrier because the sound has already stopped since I posted this - go figure!

Man this stove is awesome. But I had to take a cold shower because my room went from 73F to 81F in about 2 hours, and that is with the blower off!

Reactions: Highbeam
It's most likely because you're burning with hot outside temps, which is causing the draft to be sluggish, the gases are building up inside the stove instead of going up the liner, and they are periodically lighting off inside the stove. Small explosions.

Reactions: kennyp2339
That makes sense. I was just too anxious to wait til cold weather to try this. Thanks!