Wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dalem

Oct 16, 2018
Michigan
ok this is my first post, excuse me.
This is in my garage.

I have a 55 gallon drum wood stove, 6” pipe that runs straight up thru the rafters/roof. Mind you there is no insulation or drywall. I am wanting to drywall and insulate but I would have no clue on how to do this and make it look pretty or what materials to buy to prevent a fire. Can I use the fire retardant drywall around the pipe? Also there is no supports for the pipe.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

ok this is my first post, excuse me.
This is in my garage.

I have a 55 gallon drum wood stove, 6” pipe that runs straight up thru the rafters/roof. Mind you there is no insulation or drywall. I am wanting to drywall and insulate but I would have no clue on how to do this and make it look pretty or what materials to buy to prevent a fire. Can I use the fire retardant drywall around the pipe? Also there is no supports for the pipe.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Is it chimney pipe or just stove pipe?

Just 6” black single wall stove pipe.
Ok well there are.several problems with your setup. First being it is against code in the us to have a solid fuel burning appliance in a garage. Next once you hit the ceiling you need to use a support box and transition to class a chimney. Once you do that you can insulate and drywall up to that box.

I also really hate barrel stoves you are burning in something that was never intended to contain fire. But that is the least of the problems with your setup. What clearances do you have from the stove to combustibles.

Right now it’s about 2ft from either wall in a corner. The pipe is running between the rafters. So only about a foot or so radius of clearance around the rafter. Right now as the garage sits is bare, only exterior walls and studs, no drywall or insulation whatsoever. But it takes forever to heat it and is a lot of maintenance keeping it heated in the winter. Only went with this setup because of the budget I was in, I plan on doing a real stove in the future. But right now I want to get the insulation and drywall done.

Right now it’s about 2ft from either wall in a corner. The pipe is running between the rafters. So only about a foot or so radius of clearance around the rafter. Right now as the garage sits is bare, only exterior walls and studs, no drywall or insulation whatsoever. But it takes forever to heat it and is a lot of maintenance keeping it heated in the winter. Only went with this setup because of the budget I was in, I plan on doing a real stove in the future. But right now I want to get the insulation and drywall done.
Well you have an unlisted stove which means you need an absolute minimum of 36" clearance around it. And for a barrel stove i would recomend more.

And should I use fire resistant drywall around the support box or does it matter?
No and there is no such thing as fire resistant drywall. It is just firerated which means it takes a set time to burn through. The paper is still combustible and it will still transfer heat through to the studs.

I assume to use fire resistant drywall around the stove itself as well?
No you need the proper clearances. You can reduce them by doing a ventilated heat sheild. But with a barrel stove i wouldnt push it.

What would a ventilated heat shield be called? Or how would I look for such?
A ventilated heat sheild is a noncombustible material such as cement board or sheet metal that is spaced 1" off the wall with noncombustible spacers. It also needs a 1" gap top and bottim to allow for airflow.

When you belong to this group, you earn a degree in smartassism. good luck with you stove, and I hope you like cutting wood

There is no need to be rude to new posters. I know you are joking but it could chase away someone who really needs help

Reactions: Diabel
is that a cat barel stove or tube?
Bholler is right but this is still very funny.

To the OP. Please listen closely to the pros here. Your setup sounds very sketchy. You might want to pump the brakes on the drywall and insulation and get a safe setup going. Craigslist can be a good place to pick up a good used stove and chimney pipe.

Reactions: bholler and Diabel
Bholler is right but this is still very funny.

To the OP. Please listen closely to the pros here. Your setup sounds very sketchy. You might want to pump the brakes on the drywall and insulation and get a safe setup going. Craigslist can be a good place to pick up a good used stove and chimney pipe.
Yeah i thought that was pretty funny. I just hate to see people chased away when they need help. I dont know that the comment would be enough but i wanted to stop it at that point.

I've seen a lot worse from some of you, and i meant no disrespect nor was i poking fun at anyone or anything they have

Reactions: bholler
I've seen a lot worse from some of you, and i meant no disrespect nor was i poking fun at anyone or anything they have
I didnt think you meant any disrespect. I just wanted to stop it then. And yes many of us are much worse to regulars that we know can take it Or dont care if we offend.