wood supply who is years ahead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Why is at least a year ahead on their supply

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished stacking a second holz hausen, each about 2.25 cords, so I am pretty sure I have all of next year's wood cut, stacked, and seasoning. I will start with a stack of about 2 1/4 cords that has been split and stacked since about December, then use the second 2 1/4 cord hausen that should be close to a year old by the time I use it. My stacks are a mix of everything, except not a lot of oak. I look out the window and see thousands of trees on the ridge, and probably 90% are oak, but I end up getting everything but oak. That is fine for now, since I have been trying to collect wood for next year and oak wouldn't be seasoned in time. Now that I am starting to work on wood for 2010/11, I can add the oak that I have been setting aside. I have lots of Red Maple, Black Walnut, Red Cedar, White Pine, a little Black Cherry, Chestnut Oak, Slippery Elm, and a stick or two of about 6 other species.

I don't have a wood stove yet, but have a hearth and a chimney, so I am almost there. We plan to install a smaller stove to heat mostly the furnished basement (500 sq ft or so), so i probably won't be burning lots of wood compared to some others here. I guess maybe 2 to 4 cords. I might turn out to have more than a year's supply stacked out back. I don't plan to stop collecting, just in case (or maybe because I can't stop).

Status
Not open for further replies.