Q&A Wood surrounding gas Fireplaces - How hot can it get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have been looking at many different gas fireplaces recently and have noticed one thing when wood is surrounding the opening. The distances from the top of the opening to the first horizontal piece of wood are always different. I know that with different BT's and canopies that the temperature will be different at the point of the horizontal piece. Is there a standard that says exactly what the temperature can be, or a certain distance that the first wood piece must be? I have talked to some people about this and have heard that the temperature is 90 degrees plus ambient, but where does that come from? It would be great if you could give me an answer. Thanks...

Answer:

The figure you give is close to the standard, but this is taken in a controlled room. Each stove tests out different, so you MUST follow the specs in the owners manual and label. So, in answer to your question, there is no set distance. Also, the temperature rise is not something you can measure locally and determine. Simply follow the makers specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.