Wood under cover?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BasaltCoast

Sep 30, 2013
Atlantic Canada
OK, my wood for this year isn't well seasoned; it was cut this year - winter and spring. Mostly hardwood (maple and birch, with some ash mixed in), with a few cords of soft wood (blow downs and dead standing pine and spruce I took down over the spring and summer). The soft wood is drying much faster than I expected though. Had a fire yesterday, and it burned nicely.

I planned to build a shed for fall and winter to keep it out of the rain and snow (last year it was out in the weather and under tarps, but it was a pain keeping it dry, and the tarps from blowing off, but otherwise, it worked well); but because it isn't well seasoned, I'm wondering what the opinions were on keeping it out in the air through the burning season just to get more drying time. I'm more worried about the hardwood than the soft wood, and will burn the soft wood first (about 3 cords).

The big question is, would it be better to let it dry out in the open, or should I build a shed, fast?

Sun and air circulation! I split mine in June and have had it sitting in direct sun and very good air circulation since then. I pull a tarp over it when it rains. raised about 8 inches of the hard packed gravel ground. In November I will move it under my gazebo. But my 2 cents would be sit it in the sun and wind and hope the for best. Mines down to 25 percent moisture when I pick a split form the middle and split that piece and take a reading. Not the greatest but burnable. Hoping to have it less than 18 percent by November. Seems like that last 20 percent takes for ever. My stack is all White Ash and White Oak.

Before I sold my truck and trailer I used to be way ahead.....know I am at the mercy of the Tree Gods (tree guys) looking for a place to dump. I love my subarus but I miss my old truck!!!

I could only hope for 25% at this stage!

I've been leaning toward leaving it out (the locals are putting their wood into sheds right now) because I felt more sun and wind would help. Maybe I'll hold off on the shed for another year as the only area available at the moment is not where i want it to stay (we are going to have a garage built and a shed off that, perhaps next year). The shed would have felt like a temporary solution anyway.

Clear 6 mil plastic is your friend.

Reactions: BSH1F
Maple, birch and ash dry fast. They will be ready this winter.

, top cover but no cover the sides or the ends

thanks everyone for your advice. I'll keep tarping and untarping for a while. I've got room in the basement for a couple of days worth of wood, so may do that again.

Sun and air circulation! I split mine in June and have had it sitting in direct sun and very good air circulation since then. I pull a tarp over it when it rains. raised about 8 inches of the hard packed gravel ground. In November I will move it under my gazebo. But my 2 cents would be sit it in the sun and wind and hope the for best. Mines down to 25 percent moisture when I pick a split form the middle and split that piece and take a reading. Not the greatest but burnable. Hoping to have it less than 18 percent by November. Seems like that last 20 percent takes for ever. My stack is all White Ash and White Oak.

Before I sold my truck and trailer I used to be way ahead.....know I am at the mercy of the Tree Gods (tree guys) looking for a place to dump. I love my subarus but I miss my old truck!!!
You split it in June and it will be ready this winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.