Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
I logged this year and they left me the black cherry, I guess they didn't want it. Not sure how good it burns, but I am going to find out.

Attachments

• wood 047 (676 x 507).jpg
    wood 047 (676 x 507).jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 796
This stump worries me, don't have a 24 inch bar. I would guess its at least 200 maybe 250 year old oak. Hate getting my bar jammed and stuck in the stump.

Attachments

• wood 046 (676 x 507).jpg
    wood 046 (676 x 507).jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 723
Smokey said:
I logged this year and they left me the black cherry, I guess they didn't want it. Not sure how good it burns, but I am going to find out.

Burns fine, not a lot of heat compared to oak but enough to make it worth processing, especially if the hard part has already been done. ;)

But logs in the pic do not look like the black cherry I know.
http://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/herbarium/trees/pruser_bark01.jpg

This stump worries me, don’t have a 24 inch bar. I would guess its at least 200 maybe 250 year old oak. Hate getting my bar jammed and stuck in the stump.

Looks hollow, bar only needs to get thru one side. You are not going to get the bar jammed in that.

But if you do be sure to take pictures. :)

My bark is different, but mine is cherry and the bark is very unique looking. I just bought a book for keying down trees and have several that I don't know what they are. So I'll key it down, and take some pictures of the bark and the splits.

Got my field guide of North American trees and it's definitely not black cherry, nor is it chokecherry, Mahaleb Cherry, sweet cherry, sour cherry or pin cherry. So I don't know what it is other than the loggers told me it was cherry. The bark looks similar to flowering dogwood, very unusual looking bark. Reading over this book it's not going to be that easy to key trees down.

Might have the change the name of this topic to what kind of cherry is this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Cherry

Check out this picture of black cherry bark, looks just like mine. I wonder if you grow trees in different regions if there are variations in the bark?

Some more wood pictures, we talked about what kind of wood I had, and the guy that owns the mill, when he delivered the slab wood, told me it's black cherry. Even though it does not match whats in my tree id book. But he's the expert, so I don't doubt him. Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• wood1 034 (512 x 384).jpg
    wood1 034 (512 x 384).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 562
  • wood1 035 (512 x 384).jpg
    wood1 035 (512 x 384).jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 533
Yes, cherry! What kind is a differnt story. I have the same trees in my backyard. maybe wild cherry? Thats what I call it. see ya

It's definitely cherry, I'm just not sure how many species/varieties there are. I get two kinds here: one looks like yours with scaly bark, grows like a weed all over including several behind my house. That kind gets tent caterpillars every year. The wood is not a deep red color, and the smell, while definitely cherry, isn't as strong or as nice as the other kind. The second kind has purple birch-like papery bark and a deeper red-brown color, and the wood smells stronger and better (just like black-cherry candy). So if I was naming trees, I'd call the first one "wild cherry", and the second one "black cherry". But it may be they're all really the same.

These cherry trees only live about 50 years and don't get a very large diameter. That was my motive to have them cut down. Hope they smell nice when they burn.

Both types of cherry I described smell like cherry incense when they burn, although with a good draft you don't really get to smell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.