Woodburner Chimney Pipe Height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

flati

Feb 28, 2018
Ohio
Hello gang,
20180305_115948.jpg 20180305_120217.jpg

I'm a little confused on the recommended height of my woodburner stove pipe and was hoping for some clarification. Does the 10 foot 2 foot rule only pertain if my pipe is within 10 feet of the roofs peak and therfore I'd be ok extending the pipe just 3 foot beyond the gutter as pictured?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello gang,View attachment 225304 View attachment 225305

I'm a little confused on the recommended height of my woodburner stove pipe and was hoping for some clarification. Does the 10 foot 2 foot rule only pertain if my pipe is within 10 feet of the roofs peak and therfore I'd be ok extending the pipe just 3 foot beyond the gutter as pictured?
You need to be either 3 feet above where it passes the roof or 2 feet above anything within 10 feet. Which ever is greater. To me it looks like you are ok on height but its hard to tell from a pic. But you are certainly much more than 3 feet above the gutter.

You stated I need to be 3 feet above where it passes the roof (gutter) or anything within 10 feet, whichever is "greater". Would removing that small section of Class A then create a problem? I guess I was hoping I could do away with the smaller section of Class A that you see in the picture and strap the 5' section near the gutter and do away with those roof braces. I have to admit I'm a little afraid of heights as I get older so the lower the better for me. ;)

You stated I need to be 3 feet above where it passes the roof (gutter) or anything within 10 feet, whichever is "greater". Would removing that small section of Class A then create a problem? I guess I was hoping I could do away with the smaller section of Class A that you see in the picture and strap the 5' section near the gutter and do away with those roof braces. I have to admit I'm a little afraid of heights as I get older so the lower the better for me. ;)
Yes 3' above the edge of the roof or 2' above anything within 10'. I would guess that extra peice is needed. Cant you access the bottom of the tee?

10-3-2 rule.JPG

Wonder if the T and cap are too close to the ground to provide easy cleaning from the bottom up? Dig a deeper pit under your 90 perhaps to allow a sooteater type cleaner from the bottom up.

Is there any such thing as a class A pipe section with a Y type stub pointing downwards? Seems like that would possibly provide cleaning access near the bottom if used in the 1st verticle section or there abouts. I've been meaning to ask here. Guess I never looked for one?

Hey Flati. Your not alone wanting to pass on the gymnastics upstairs;lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider lowering the roof brace to the bottom of the 2' section and tightening everything back up. Then you could put a step ladder in between the braces at a very slight angle so as not to put pressure on the chimney by keeping the weight on the ladder pushing down, and then take the cap off and clean it. All the time being very careful ;).

Or dig out under the T a couple feet so you can get down in there, put in a window well to protect it and crawl down in and brush up.

Or... call someone else to do it and let them figure it out.

I am unable to access the cleanout at this time but plan to dig out below the cleanout so I can remove the cleanout and possible get a sooteater in there as mentioned. A couple weeks ago I took a 10' long 2x4 with a level wire tied to it and placed it on the roof and the pipe perfectly horizontal and it appeared that using this method I do need the height which I was hoping wasn't the case. I have a couple buddies that kept telling me to remove the 2' section and it would be fine but thought Id double check with you guys here.

Easy way to calculate height - Know the pitch of the roof first (example 5:12) - 5" x 10' +24" = 74" above the lowest side of the roof. If the ridge of the roof or other part of the structure is closer than 10' you have to go 24" higher than the ridge.