Woodgassification Boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Help

Jan 11, 2016
Maine
Can anyone help me? I am looking for a wood gassification boiler with a back up. I live in Maine which requires a backup system to wood. I thought I had everything all figured out with a company here in Maine who had a wood gasification boiler with propane back up, however the EPA just closed down the company and is not allowing further sales! Does anyone have any Ideas?

Install a second boiler with an alternate fuel in addition to the gasser. More efficient than an all-in-one solution, but probably a little more expensive.

Moved to the boiler room.

I live in Maine which requires a backup system to wood

I'm sure I'm being incredibly thick, but I can;t think of the answer. What's the reason behind that?

Would a Wood Pellet boiler be considered a suitable backup?

Using an oil or NG backup is most common. The disadvantage to a combination unit is that burning wood leaves deposits on the heat exchanger which reduces efficiency when fossil fuel is used. The exception would be a boiler with separate heat exchangers.

I would be very curious to hear more about the EPA thing you mentioned. They didn't like the company, or the boiler? Sounds very odd.

You have all kinds of choices, would all depend on what you want to use as a fuel for the backup. Better to go with two units - having one unit that uses two fuels is usually a compromise. I used to have a wood/oil combo boiler. I now have a wood boiler, and a separate electric boiler for backup.

Reactions: hobbyheater
I would be very curious to hear more about the EPA thing you mentioned. They didn't like the company, or the boiler? Sounds very odd.

You have all kinds of choices, would all depend on what you want to use as a fuel for the backup. Better to go with two units - having one unit that uses two fuels is usually a compromise. I used to have a wood/oil combo boiler. I now have a wood boiler, and a separate electric boiler for backup.
I would agree, separate units vs. a hybrid. Regarding what to use for the backup, that is up to your preferences and budget. What I would consider is how long you will stay in that house, do you ever foresee a day when you won't burn would and you back up becomes your primary? You can go the cheapest route today but if you ever change then you may end up having the investment you made in your back up go to waste. If I were planning to stay a long time and if my budget allowed I would go with a pretty good back up system just in case I ever needed it. Plus when you do sell your house it might help. I personally have a propane condensing boiler as my backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.