Woodstock Burning Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I cleaned the glass on my Woodstock Keystone yesterday - a pain in the arse! I used ashes, 0000 steel wool and windex in various orders to get the stuff off - almost like hardened creosote, mostly on either side of the window - but that's not my question!

Once I had the large glass clean, and could really see into the stove again and re-fired the stove. I had some nice "fire place" looking flames rolling off the logs while I was waiting for the stove top to reach temp before engaging the cat.

After engaging the cat, I let the flames continue (with out going crazy), but much more than wicking off the logs.

The view was FANTASTIC!!!!!!! The Keystone really looked, with the big window and flames, like a fireplace.

So I have read volumes of posts about Woodstock stoves, glowing cat and very little flames - to maximize the long burns......

But what about just a nice fire to watch? Anyone doing this?

My stove with the fire show was hot, the cat was working nicely - though not bright orange and it was a pleasurable experience watching the stove with flames in it instead of a glowing cat and a few burning embers on the bottom of the logs.

Anyone actually backing off the most efficient burns and enjoying a flame show in their Woodstocks?

Thanks!
Bill

Sure, I do this once in awhile and it will also give you some quicker heat since the whole mass of the stove heats up not just the top where the cat is. You can always start out that way for an hour or two then turn it down and bank the coals and let the stone do it's thing as well.

Enjoy the flames!! That's half the fun of burning, right? As Todd suggested enjoy the show for a while before going into "work" mode. After all that's why three out of four stoves we build have the glass fronts. I have enjoyed my Fireview for seven winters now and can't wait to get my Palladian fired up- almost there. :cheese:

TheBean said:
Enjoy the flames!! That's half the fun of burning, right? As Todd suggested enjoy the show for a while before going into "work" mode. After all that's why three out of four stoves we build have the glass fronts. I have enjoyed my Fireview for seven winters now and can't wait to get my Palladian fired up- almost there. :cheese:

What's taking so long Bean? I thought you would have that done by now? You can't be too busy at Woodstock could you? ;-)

Customers always come first! We are fortunate to be busy. Actually I usually get to 75% complete on my projects then get distracted. Should have things wrapped this weekend. Nice to see you all supporting our owners with great tips and advice. Thanks again

TheBean said:

I came within a hair of getting the Palladian instead of the fireview - kind of wish I had as I like the more formal appearance of it (especially in the off season) - but my Wife said buy the Keystone for the fireplace look and big window - so we did.

But, the Keystone is an awsome looking stove too - especially if I burn it like I described above as a fireplace fire show.

Bill

I've been burning with flames in the box 90% of the time this shoulder season. I just have enjoyed the view too much to shut it down. Last night (second night burn?) I did cut it down to the point where the bright flames went out and I had the rolling blue flames for a while before it went to just the bright coals... but in the dark room that was rather nice to view too. I don't think there is a view I don't like, heh.

Bean - I'm surprised that even 1/4 are the windowless stoves. I've never understood why anyone would NOT want to see the flames. I figured there had to be folks out there that preferred the 'blank' look of no window in the stove or WS wouldn't sell the classic, but to sell that many simply surprises me.

The Classic is a timeless design, think of old Dodge soapstone stoves. We build it in limited numbers compared to the other models, but there is still demand for it. More mass= longer heat retention. And besides soapstone itself is very attractive. I personally love to watch the fire, it is mesmerizing and relaxing. Makes you forget about all that splitting, hauling and stacking. For me the flames are the payoff (well ok the heat isn't bad either). ;-)

Hey, one can also bypass the cat and watch the flames. We do that sometimes when we want a fire but not much heat but mostly do turn the cat on. Even then, as Todd states, it is easy to keep a flame if you want one.

I don't think the classic is so bad and we did consider that stove. However, we are very happy we went with the Fireview. I also think the Fireview is a much better looking stove but that is a matter of taste. Each to their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.