Woodstock Fireview Cat question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BDKMiller said:
Thanks for all the info guys.
I actually live & work near the Woodstock Stove factory/showroom so I'll swing by later today & see if those probes are still available. I found the place where one should go on the back of my stove but it looks like I will have to cut my heat shield to make it fit.

While you are there let them know there are others (at least one here anyway) who are interested and waiting to hear what you come back with... If they stopped carrying it perhaps they will be willing to let you know why.. lack of demand? Misuse/misunderstanding?

Slow1 said:
BDKMiller said:
Thanks for all the info guys.
I actually live & work near the Woodstock Stove factory/showroom so I'll swing by later today & see if those probes are still available. I found the place where one should go on the back of my stove but it looks like I will have to cut my heat shield to make it fit.

While you are there let them know there are others (at least one here anyway) who are interested and waiting to hear what you come back with... If they stopped carrying it perhaps they will be willing to let you know why.. lack of demand? Misuse/misunderstanding?

Also ask them why they didn't just drill a hole on top for a probe thermometer for easy visibility.

I went to the Woodstock factory yesterday & learned a lot. First of all they do still stock & sell the probes. There is even one stove on display with a probe mounted. They stopped pushing them because most people found the mounting place to be so awkward as to be unusable. They said that the reason for mounting it in the rear rather than the top was structural- it needs to go through a big piece of metal & ideally not a moving part. I also found out that some of the people who work there do exactly what I do & use exhaust temps to gauge when to engage the cat. I should mention that I use a magnetic thermometer on the outside of the exhaust stack rather than a probe on the inside. They said a probe on the inside would be less helpful due to it's exactness of measurements. They said when the outside of the stack hits 500 degrees it is safe to assume that the cat is also up to temp. This assumes reasonable use of the stove- as someone else mentioned you don't want to raise the temperature too quickly.

Now another interesting thing I learned is that their much rumored larger stove is in the testing phase & they hope to release it next year. They invited me into the back to see the prototype. It was very cool though it had no soapstone attached to it at this point. They are working on the design but right now don't know what it will look like. What I saw was basically a firebox with probes everywhere. It is big, the firebox may be as big as my entire stove. Right now they are experimenting with a hybrid design incorporating a cat as well as secondary air tubes.
And just in case you think I'm a jackass for posting this info- I asked & they said it was ok. They are a fantastic company to support. I was so happy with the way I was treated when ibought the stove that I also had them make me some soapstone countertops.

Thanks for the update. Some day I hope to be able to visit their place.

Thanks very much for the update. As someone who really needs a bigger firebox, you've given me hope that I'll be able to get a Woodstock stove that will meet my needs. Worth the wait...

BDKMiller said:
I went to the Woodstock factory yesterday & learned a lot. First of all they do still stock & sell the probes. There is even one stove on display with a probe mounted. They stopped pushing them because most people found the mounting place to be so awkward as to be unusable. They said that the reason for mounting it in the rear rather than the top was structural- it needs to go through a big piece of metal & ideally not a moving part. I also found out that some of the people who work there do exactly what I do & use exhaust temps to gauge when to engage the cat. I should mention that I use a magnetic thermometer on the outside of the exhaust stack rather than a probe on the inside. They said a probe on the inside would be less helpful due to it's exactness of measurements. They said when the outside of the stack hits 500 degrees it is safe to assume that the cat is also up to temp. This assumes reasonable use of the stove- as someone else mentioned you don't want to raise the temperature too quickly.

Now another interesting thing I learned is that their much rumored larger stove is in the testing phase & they hope to release it next year. They invited me into the back to see the prototype. It was very cool though it had no soapstone attached to it at this point. They are working on the design but right now don't know what it will look like. What I saw was basically a firebox with probes everywhere. It is big, the firebox may be as big as my entire stove. Right now they are experimenting with a hybrid design incorporating a cat as well as secondary air tubes.
And just in case you think I'm a jackass for posting this info- I asked & they said it was ok. They are a fantastic company to support. I was so happy with the way I was treated when ibought the stove that I also had them make me some soapstone countertops.

Great news, I'm first in line! :lol: So when they say next year did they mean Fall of 2010 so it will qualify for the tax credit? Did you happen to notice if the exhaust was a 6" or 8"?

I don't have a Firerview, that is how I operate my cat stove. With a thermometer about a foot up on single wall pipe, when it reaches 450 degrees I close the bypass, with the assumption that with 450 at the thermo. that the firebox is well past 500 degrees. That has been a reliable method of engagement of the cat for me.

According to Ron at Woodstock it is OK to engage the cat when the internal flue temp is at 500 which occurs WAY before the top reaches 250. I usually let the flue get to 600 to be safe and that seems to work well.

To the OP, a 400 °F external flue temp is probably 800 internal so you are more than fine with your technique. But, as has been mentioned, don't heat the stove up too fast. Also, I was told by Ron that it is not good to engage the cat when the temp is too high so you might want to engage the cat even sooner.

At this point there is nothing definitive with the prototype. So far they are very happy with it's performance but really anything could change. I thought it looked like a 6" flu but I really wasn't paying too much attention to the stack. As for when it will be released, I'm sure they want to get it out as soon as they can, due to available tax credits, but they aren't sure when it will be released. I will certainly be interested in buying one.

I wonder if they will take trade-ins for the new, bigger one.

Flatbedford said:
I wonder if they will take trade-ins for the new, bigger one.

Now that would be interesting... I just wonder how much the new one might weigh. Perhaps we should start a new thread and get a pool going. "Guess the weight of the new WS stove" heh.

700lbs

625 pounds.

My guess will be somewhere between the Mansfield and Equinox, about 600lbs. Hopefully it will use a 6" flue, since it's much cheaper than 8" and most relines are 6".

Todd said:
My guess will be somewhere between the Mansfield and Equinox, about 600lbs. Hopefully it will use a 6" flue, since it's much cheaper than 8" and most relines are 6".

I'll go with 725lbs as my guess just because it's bigger and I have nothing else to base my guess on anyway.

As to flue - I too hope it's a 6" - would make it a WHOLE lot easier for us compulsive upgraders now wouldn't it?

Slow1 said:
Todd said:

I'll go with 725lbs as my guess just because it's bigger and I have nothing else to base my guess on anyway.

As to flue - I too hope it's a 6" - would make it a WHOLE lot easier for us compulsive upgraders now wouldn't it?

Will your wife go for 3 stoves in 3 years? I already have permission, but have to see the stove and specs first. If it's Equinox size it will be too big and my chimney won't work.

Todd said:
Slow1 said:
Todd said:

Will your wife go for 3 stoves in 3 years? I already have permission, but have to see the stove and specs first. If it's Equinox size it will be too big and my chimney won't work.

Well now... I imagine the answer is likely pretty simple. No. :)

Then again, I never expected her to go for the upgrade to the Fireview and here I am. However, it really does depend now doesn't it? For example, just what would the cost differential be? What would we get for that? It is, after all, in how one presents the argument isn't it? We're all entitled to our fantasies aren't we?

Truth be told I'm not sure how good it would have to be in order to justify the bother in any case - it would have to have some really special features and be a significant upgrade from what I have now. We had what passes for a pretty cold day around here, low around 7, high in the 20's with some wind keeping it interesting. Started out the day a bit behind/cool in the house so had to run the stove a bit harder during the rest of the day but nobody complained about being cold. Was able to keep a slow but steady temperature rise all day. Not bad for heating over 2200sqft. A larger stove would have kept it warmer overnight I'm sure and likely could have heated things up a bit faster during the day, but I only hit 500 on the surface so I never really maxed out this stove either - still learning how to comfortably jack the temperature up to get even more heat out.

Slow1 said:
Todd said:
Slow1 said:
Todd said:

Well now... I imagine the answer is likely pretty simple. No. :)

Then again, I never expected her to go for the upgrade to the Fireview and here I am. However, it really does depend now doesn't it? For example, just what would the cost differential be? What would we get for that? It is, after all, in how one presents the argument isn't it? We're all entitled to our fantasies aren't we?

Truth be told I'm not sure how good it would have to be in order to justify the bother in any case - it would have to have some really special features and be a significant upgrade from what I have now. We had what passes for a pretty cold day around here, low around 7, high in the 20's with some wind keeping it interesting. Started out the day a bit behind/cool in the house so had to run the stove a bit harder during the rest of the day but nobody complained about being cold. Was able to keep a slow but steady temperature rise all day. Not bad for heating over 2200sqft. A larger stove would have kept it warmer overnight I'm sure and likely could have heated things up a bit faster during the day, but I only hit 500 on the surface so I never really maxed out this stove either - still learning how to comfortably jack the temperature up to get even more heat out.

Ha, yeah, I get by just fine with my Fireview, but I can't help myself, I'm a wood stove junkie. Guess it's better than buying a new truck every other year like I use to. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.