Woodstock Ideal Steel vs. Pacific Energy T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
Which one would you guys buy? Both have the 3 cubic feet firebox. I am looking for long overnight burns. Easy to use, maintain and sweep. Etc. T6 costs a lot more but dealer will install.

They are very different stoves. One is a hybrid and the other is a simpler, non-cat. If cost is the determining factor then the Ideal Steel is by far less expensive. It doesn't have the heavy cast iron jacket or swing-away trivet top. A less expensive version with the same firebox is the PE Summit. If you chose the Ideal Steel maybe have a certified sweep install it?

We do not have many sweeps in my area. I clean my own chimney. PE dealer is 43 miles away. Most of the folks around here use wood boilers.

My Alderlea T5 insert has been flawless for the past 5 years. Its easy to clean, just pull the pin, take out the baffle and sweep, and reinstall the baffle and pin after you've cleaned up.

Long burns is what you're looking for, Ideal steel wins. Burn times double that of the T6 according to users.

IS gives you much higher efficiency, much cleaner burning (3.9 gph for the T6 vs 1.04 for IS). Noncats are easier to operate and there is no cat to change every 12000 hours but both stoves are quite good.

They are very different stoves. One is a hybrid and the other is a simpler, non-cat. If cost is the determining factor then the Ideal Steel is by far less expensive. It doesn't have the heavy cast iron jacket or swing-away trivet top. A less expensive version with the same firebox is the PE Summit. If you chose the Ideal Steel maybe have a certified sweep install it?
Yes that's a hang-up on the Ideal Steel. Both stoves have a nice cook top and the 3 ft. fire box.

My Alderlea T5 insert has been flawless for the past 5 years. Its easy to clean, just pull the pin, take out the baffle and sweep, and reinstall the baffle and pin after you've cleaned up.
That sounds great. That's the way I clean with my current stove. With the IS I will have to take the stove pipe off and then sweep from there I guess.

Long burns is what you're looking for, Ideal steel wins. Burn times double that of the T6 according to users.

IS gives you much higher efficiency, much cleaner burning (3.9 gph for the T6 vs 1.04 for IS). Noncats are easier to operate and there is no cat to change every 12000 hours but both stoves are quite good.
How can I clean the chimney from inside the house with a cat stove? How do you clean your chimney? Will the Pacific Energy stoved even be available by 2020 because of the new EPA regs?

I myself have wondered about Pacific Energy and the 2020 regs, there are few of their models that meet the 2020 standard.

I myself have wondered about Pacific Energy and the 2020 regs, there are few of their models that meet the 2020 standard.
Thanks for responding. Time will tell. That's for sure. PE owners all seem to like their stoves. Same with Woodstock.

I haven't even had a fire in my Ashford yet, let alone cleaned the chimney. The installer ( hearth member) said to use a SootEater and clean through the open bypass, then remove the stove pipe and clean the area behind the bypass as soot will accumulate there.

The new standard will not restrict one from operating a stove purchased now past the year 2020.

Last edited:
How can I clean the chimney from inside the house with a cat stove? How do you clean your chimney? Will the Pacific Energy stoved even be available by 2020 because of the new EPA regs?

It's even easier to clean my cat stove (not an IS) from inside the house than a noncat, even a PE. Open firebox door, shove in the sooteater, spin it around, vacuum out junk, done. I don't have to remove the flue pipe as the vacuum is able to clean out all of the debris from the firebox.

The current PE won't be available after the 2020 regs go into effect unless they clean up their act or the new regs end up being loose enough to allow them. They have barely been clean enough to be legal in WA under current regs.

It's even easier to clean my cat stove (not an IS) from inside the house than a noncat, even a PE. Open firebox door, shove in the sooteater, spin it around, vacuum out junk, done. I don't have to remove the flue pipe as the vacuum is able to clean out all of the debris from the firebox.

The current PE won't be available after the 2020 regs go into effect unless they clean up their act or the new regs end up being loose enough to allow them. They have barely been clean enough to be legal in WA under current regs.

Here is PE's comments on the 2020 regs from their website...

https://www.pacificenergy.net/support/tools/2gramemissions/

Yes, they stepped up to the plate when the phase II regs came in and will do the same for phase III.

"as well, our 35 years of developing world class solid fuel appliances has convinced us that catalytic technology and single burn rates are an inferior, unreliable way to achieve lower emissions and more importantly an unnecessary compromise."

Hah! Well, at least they take a position! The cat people say the opposite.

Unfortunately, low emissions can sometimes be accomplished by low efficiency so we'll have to see if PE is smart enough to improve both specifications. It seems odd how so many low dollar designs test at such low emission rates like my NC30 that is 2020 compliant already.

Yes, they stepped up to the plate when the phase II regs came in and will do the same for phase III.
I hope I can get parts for the T6 if I buy it.

Unfortunately, low emissions can sometimes be accomplished by low efficiency so we'll have to see if PE is smart enough to improve both specifications. It seems odd how so many low dollar designs test at such low emission rates like my NC30 that is 2020 compliant already.
The 30NC results are excellent, but they are also kind of an anomaly. Speaking to a lab person I was told testing results can vary as much as a gram based on the fuel of the day, weather conditions, etc.. Lots of stoves like many Jotuls, etc. test where the big PE stoves tested. And so do most of the other low priced stoves that the 30NC competes with. Even the Madison and its big brother have higher test results.

What about the Jotul F55? Would that stove heat 2200 sq. Ft with a 10 hour burn? Can I cook on it?

Asked and answered in other thread

The 30NC results are excellent, but they are also kind of an anomaly. Speaking to a lab person I was told testing results can vary as much as a gram based on the fuel of the day, weather conditions, etc.. Lots of stoves like many Jotuls, etc. test where the big PE stoves tested. And so do most of the other low priced stoves that the 30NC competes with. Even the Madison and its big brother have higher test results.

By that logic, the NC30 could have actually tested to be 0.6 grams per hour and beat the heck out of the PE T6 which would be 4.9 gph. You can't introduce a tolerance on test results and only apply them one way.

The results are the results.

Could have gone the other way just as easily. Again, this was a lab person that saw these variations regularly. He said take the test results with a grain of salt. They're not gospel. For sure there will be much greater variation once the stove is burning in the home.

Reactions: Highbeam