Woodstock pic teaser.. more to come!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Englanderfest. If you create it, they will come.

And here are a couple more videos...

A "tour" of the new stove - I tried to show it burning and give folks a look around it to show what it looks like...

Reloading with three pieces of Dennis' premium wood... Note the LONG delay before engaging the cat after reload (almost 2 minutes!).

Enjoy.

Slow1 said:
And here are a couple more videos...

A "tour" of the new stove - I tried to show it burning and give folks a look around it to show what it looks like...

Reloading with three pieces of Dennis' premium wood... Note the LONG delay before engaging the cat after reload (almost 2 minutes!).

Enjoy.

Nice video's slow! Good to meet you!

Ray

Ray nice vids. Was that Gamma screaming in the background?

zap

pen said:
Great day, the factory was impressive, the food was great, the workers who provided a tour of the establishment were a class act, and the stoves in action were a show. Thanks to Craig for refreshments, and the company of hearth.com folks as well as the people who were there to simply enjoy the day for making it a great time.

It takes some balls to open your shop up to the world to come and inspect, ask questions and basically take free-reign. I couldn't be more impressed.

After seeing it run, I'd have bought a progress myself if I thought I wouldn't be spending the winter in the garage after the wife found out.

Tried like hell to get Mr and Mrs. Gamma to drop a dime on one; but I guess they want to burn their brand new 30 first :)

Thanks to all for the great time. Couldn't have been better unless the rest of you were here.

pen
Speaking of Class!

I enjoyed being there. But felt pretty flat most of the time.

Fess up. How many of those pics of me got tossed in a stove? :lol:

The anonymous creator only made 500 copies. I think we had about 3 left.

Damn that Progress is something to watch when it has a fresh load. :)

pen

If I buy the stove does the old man come with the stove to keep the firebox full? ;-)

zapny said:
Ray nice vids. Was that Gamma screaming in the background?

zap

Thanx Zap, nah that was Virtual BB screaming like a little school girl when he saw the secondaries blow his secondaries on his 30NC out of the water!

:cheese:

Ray

BrotherBart said:
I enjoyed being there. But felt pretty flat most of the time.

Fess up. How many of those pics of me got tossed in a stove? :lol:

That my friend would have been a horrible death but with a fine finish as you giggled your way into the depths of hell lol.. Next year we'll dump your carcass into the Hearth.com jet and transport you to the airport across the street from the Woodstock factory!

Ray

Couple of questions.

1) Why is it set up with rear exhaust? I pretty much learned here that straight up is optimum. Are they just showing off the "Progress" logo in cast in the block off cover?

2) I noticed in the video when the fellow loaded the wood he used some sort of pliers to open the door even though he was wearing gloves. Is the handle that hot?

mhrischuk said:
Couple of questions.

1) Why is it set up with rear exhaust? I pretty much learned here that straight up is optimum. Are they just showing off the "Progress" logo in cast in the block off cover?

2) I noticed in the video when the fellow loaded the wood he used some sort of pliers to open the door even though he was wearing gloves. Is the handle that hot?

Yes, we noticed that and asked Tom why he went out the back.. He replied I dunno just how I asked him to do it.. The stove is more visible with the back exhaust plus you can also see the fancy top exhaust block plate with the fancy Progress Hybrid and leaf logo.. It worked just fine though as they had 2 stoves(Progress Hybrid and Fireview) running into a hooded pipe with a small exhaust blower to ensure a good draft..

Ray

mhrischuk said:
Couple of questions.

1) I suspect it is set up that way to demonstrate the flexibility of the stove - that it can be rear exhaust and still look nice. If they set it up top exit then everyone would wonder "but what about that hole on top?" I did ask about performance of the stove/draft implications setting it up one way vs the other for my install as I basically could do it either way - much like the demo model I have to go up a bit before I go out. The answer was that it shouldn't make a huge difference either way.

2) The tool used was not a pair of pliers; rather it is a special tool that comes with the stove that fits into the loops of the handle and cat to operate them. I don't think gloves are necessary when using the tool, but if you didn't use the tool I'm sure gloves would be needed. Using both? that is just being very careful (likely a good habit when working in any factory - particularly one that has fires burning in it).

Thank you. I do have to wonder, is this the first stove that has a special tool to operate it? Can you operate the stove without the tool? If so I would venture to guess that tool will end up in a drawer.

mhrischuk said:
Thank you. I do have to wonder, is this the first stove that has a special tool to operate it? Can you operate the stove without the tool? If so I would venture to guess that tool will end up in a drawer.

I suppose you could open the door and operate the bypass without using the tool. It is handy true, but not a required item to use. Gloves on the other hand (no pun intended) would be a good idea in either case.

They probably added the tool for insurance and liability.

mhrischuk said:

Yes you can operate the levers without the tool provided you wear gloves.. There is a place to hang the tool on the back heatshield if you need it near the loading door if memory serves me correct..

Ray

mhrischuk said:
They probably added the tool for insurance and liability.

Much like our fireview and keystone/paladian models, this stove comes with a "fallaway handle" of sorts not so much for insurance or liabilty issues, but more for ease of use. Not a neccesary tool for operating the stove, but more of a "trinket" I suppose....

That's correct ray... There is a cutout in the heatsheild that allows the tool to hang out of the way.

Yup... the tool/handle that came with our fireview is sitting in the little holder in the heat shield where I put it on the day we installed the fireview... I just checked. Never once used it after playing with the day we installed the stove. I always have gloves on when loading the stove anyway so picking up another tool to open the door seems silly to me when I can just grab it. But I'm sure that there must be folks out there who like it.

I confirmed for my own interest that with the PH I can operate it without the tool so I'm happy enough.

Some of Travis stoves that feature a bypass damper come with it as well. Yes, it will get hot. Since they've provided a tool, I'm gonna use it.

It's really not much different than the concept of the ceramic handles that Vermont Castings uses. Except in Woodstock's case, it is an optional use and you can still open the door without the tool.

And if you drop the tool on the floor it won't crack... unlike the VC handle.

Looks like a good time was had by all. Wish I could of made it, maybe next year. Thanks for all the pictures and videos, keep them coming.

BrowningBAR said:
It's really not much different than the concept of the ceramic handles that Vermont Castings uses. Except in Woodstock's case, it is an optional use and you can still open the door without the tool.

Many Morso's have a removable door handle. It gets too hot to leave in place.

BeGreen said:
BrowningBAR said:

Many Morso's have a removable door handle. It gets too hot to leave in place.

I'm probably assuming correctly that it is only VC that makes them out of easily breakable ceramic?

Status
Not open for further replies.