Woodstock Progress Hybrid....any problems?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newburnerwisconsin

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2015
wisconsin
I am looking at this stove online. It's huge at 700 lbs. does anyone know how you sweep this stove from inside the house and stove? What about a heat shield? How does this stove compare to the Pacific Energy Alderela t6 in wood use and burn time? Thanks to everyone. I really appreciate your time and responses.

I am looking at this stove online. It's huge at 700 lbs. does anyone know how you sweep this stove from inside the house and stove? What about a heat shield? How does this stove compare to the Pacific Energy Alderela t6 in wood use and burn time? Thanks to everyone. I really appreciate your time and responses.
I have a PH and like it very much. I do not sweep it from inside the house. I use the rear vent through a exterior wall to a Tee connection, and then up 21 feet with insulated SS Liner in a chase.. At the Tee is where I sweep it using a Soot Eater. Very simple process and I usually only get less then a cup of soot each year. The stove is very clean burning. I do have the optional rear heat shield which allows it to be 6 inches from the wall. I don't know much about the T6, but I can tell you about my wood consumption and burn times. Generally I shoot for 12 hour burns because that works best for my schedule. Although I have had up to 16 hour burns, but the stove wasn't putting out a huge amount of heat and only had smaller coals at that point. Plenty to relight a fire, but the stove was only around 200 degrees. The stove truly sips wood. For my typical 12 hour burn cycles, I load the stove approx. 60% full with 5 to 6 medium splits (usually well seasoned oak & hickory). Now bear in mind that I live in a moderate climate and have a newer home with average insulation. Winter temps here average high 30's/low 40's day, and mid to high 20's/low 30's at night. In Wisconsin I'm sure you would be running the stove hotter and using somewhat more wood. Perhaps some PH owners from up North can chime in here on their usage. I have had temps down to low single digits and the stove keeps the house warm and toasty; but those temps are not the norm. I also will mention that I love the ash grate system and Woodstock's customer service. They are the nicest people and truly want to make their customers happy with the stove. The air wash system works beautifully and I only have to clean the glass once a burning season. The stove weighs in at 700 lbs and will test your strength moving it. Best to round up 3 or 4 big farm boys to help. If you like soapstone, and obviously I do, you will love the fit and finish of the stove. It is a beautiful piece of furniture as well as a heating beast. I hope that helps. Good luck with your search.

Oh, and I forgot to tell you the history of the stove. When it first came out there were some stoves that experienced a smoke smell around the loading door. Woodstock was made aware of the problem and issued a repair kit to the early owners and corrected the manufacturing process. There was also a problem with the secondary burn plate on the top of the firebox warping. This has also been corrected and original owners were offered replacement stoves at no cost. These were problems which did not turn up during the beta testing, and only surfaced after the stove was launched.

Reactions: webby3650
This is my first post.

I installed a new Progress Hybrid, that replaces an old Vermont Casings smoke dragon, just before Christmas. I also have a T6 that I have heated with all winter long for 7 years (hearth.com thank you for this recommendation). So, I have two installed wood stoves and use both. I heat about 4,000 sq/ft and am at 8,000 ft elevation in Colorado. I can't say enough about both stoves. The T6 is a monster heater and pretty much heated the house 100%. My T6 likes, the stove REALLY kicks the heat out, is EASY to use, about 8 hour burn with soft woods (spruce, pine, fir), looks great and has been bullet proof. I am still getting familiar with the PH but I couldn't be more impressed. In contrast, I get 10-12 hour burns, lots of heat but the T6 can produce more, beautiful stove, it is easy to use too, great ash pan (T6 ash pan is unusable IMO), PH will use less wood, both have clean glass and both take a long time to heat up on a cold start and both stay hot for for a long time post burn. If you go with the T6, I would recommend the blower option. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

I can highly recommend both stoves!

Reactions: Woody Stover
wood use and burn time?
Where are you in WI, up where it's mostly Pine trees? Really, back when I went up north, I wasn't a tree nerd like I am now, so I don't remember much about the species there but I remember Pines. I just know there are plenty of hardwoods in the southern part of the state...

Hi

I'm on the Ma/NH border..cold enough. I use 2 cords a year(hardwoods)

House is small, 2 floors, each 750 ft2, lots of windows (20 on the first floor)
So majjor heat loss (what can I say, I like light)

The PH easily keeps the house at 70, I have to be careful not to blow past 80.

Last edited by a moderator:

Glad to hear that you are considering the Progress Hybrid. It is an amazing woodstove and the customer service at Woodstock is just as amazing! This is my 3rd season using the PH. Here are some of the answers to your questions: As it relates to cleaning the chimney and stove, I use a Soot Eater at the end of each season and usually get between 1/3 and 1/2 gallon of creosote. It is relatively easy and you can go up the chimney versus working from the top of the chimney and roof. Cleaning the PH is easy. You will want to clean the front glass periodically (as needed) and make sure that the catalytic combustor is free of soot and dust.

Woodstock posts information on the various heat shields and clearances, so you will probably best be served by reviewing their information. If I remember correctly, the stove can be within 7" of the wall with the heat shield installed and the stove pipe can be within 6" with the heat shield installed (don't quote me on those numbers).

Regarding moving the stove, I used an Egyptian roll technique using wooden dowels and Schedule 80 PVC. We rolled it from the deck, over the threshold at the door, through the dining room, to the hearth. It went fairly smoothly. Final positioning was easily done with a automotive floor jack with wheels. Or, four big Wisconsin football players could easily move it for you :).

Regarding burn times, that all depends upon the type of wood and amount of wood that you are using in the stove. Using dry red oak, I can get between 12 and 16 hours burn time. I define burn times from a reload to a minimal level of coals left in the bottom of the stove. If I use pine or hemlock, I may get 5 or 6 hours of burn time.

Hope this is helpful! Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Where are you in WI, up where it's mostly Pine trees? Really, back when I went up north, I wasn't a tree nerd like I am now, so I don't remember much about the species there but I remember Pines. I just know there are plenty of hardwoods in the southern part of the state...
I am in the central part of the state. Mostly hardwoods here. Oak, red elm and maple are what I burn the most.

This is my first post.

I installed a new Progress Hybrid, that replaces an old Vermont Casings smoke dragon, just before Christmas. I also have a T6 that I have heated with all winter long for 7 years (hearth.com thank you for this recommendation). So, I have two installed wood stoves and use both. I heat about 4,000 sq/ft and am at 8,000 ft elevation in Colorado. I can't say enough about both stoves. The T6 is a monster heater and pretty much heated the house 100%. My T6 likes, the stove REALLY kicks the heat out, is EASY to use, about 8 hour burn with soft woods (spruce, pine, fir), looks great and has been bullet proof. I am still getting familiar with the PH but I couldn't be more impressed. In contrast, I get 10-12 hour burns, lots of heat but the T6 can produce more, beautiful stove, it is easy to use too, great ash pan (T6 ash pan is unusable IMO), PH will use less wood, both have clean glass and both take a long time to heat up on a cold start and both stay hot for for a long time post burn. If you go with the T6, I would recommend the blower option. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Whoch stove do you like best? Whicjh one has less ash dust in the house? Thanks

Hi

I'm on the Ma/NH border..cold enough. I use 2 chords a year(hardwoods)

House is small, 2 floors, each 750 ft2, lots of windows (20 on the first floor)
So majjor heat loss (what can I say, I like light)

The PH easily keeps the house at 70, I have to be careful not to blow past 80.
I am in central Wisconsin...it get plenty cold here....:)

This is my first post.

I am looking for a 9 to 11 hour burn time to heat a 2200 sq. ft. by- level house. stove is in finished basement with outside air hooked up to a dura tech insulated chimney.

Thanks, Whoch stove do you like best? Whicjh one has less ash dust in the house? Thanks

Hard to beat the ash pan set up on the PH. Purchase an additional ash pan with cover so you always have a empty pan ready to slide in. I think it was only another $30 for a second pan and cover.

four big Wisconsin football players could easily move it for you
No, only one would fit through the door at a time....maybe. ;lol
I am in the central part of the state. Mostly hardwoods here. Oak, red elm and maple are what I burn the most. I am looking for a 9 to 11 hour burn time
Good deal. Even the big tube stove would burn a good while with that long-march wood.
I got a thing for Red Elm. ==c It's not rated as high in the BTU charts but it seems to be about like White Ash. The wood itself has such a pretty hue and there's almost no sapwood. ()
Which one has less ash dust in the house?
Is this a trick question? ;) I've had a grated ash system since I got the Dutchwest in 2000. I used a Fireview for a while several years back and realized that at this point, having a grate is almost un-negotiable for me. It's just so clean and easy. When you think about the hassle it saves over the life of the stove it becomes a no-brainer (for me anyway...YMMV.) If someone else has to run the stove sometimes, they will appreciate it too. I don't have an extra pan, I just pull the pan at a time when the stove has burned down and the pan is coolest, walk outside, and dump it in the ash bucket. Close the ash door as soon as you pull the pan, or you could have a blast-furnace situation. :oops:

Hard to beat the ash pan set up on the PH. Purchase an additional ash pan with cover so you always have a empty pan ready to slide in. I think it was only another $30 for a second pan and cover.
Did you install your hybrid yourself? Or did you have a sweep install it? Thanks

Glad to hear that you are considering the Progress Hybrid. It is an amazing woodstove and the customer service at Woodstock is just as amazing! This is my 3rd season using the PH. Here are some of the answers to your questions: As it relates to cleaning the chimney and stove, I use a Soot Eater at the end of each season and usually get between 1/3 and 1/2 gallon of creosote. It is relatively easy and you can go up the chimney versus working from the top of the chimney and roof. Cleaning the PH is easy. You will want to clean the front glass periodically (as needed) and make sure that the catalytic combustor is free of soot and dust.

Woodstock posts information on the various heat shields and clearances, so you will probably best be served by reviewing their information. If I remember correctly, the stove can be within 7" of the wall with the heat shield installed and the stove pipe can be within 6" with the heat shield installed (don't quote me on those numbers).

Regarding moving the stove, I used an Egyptian roll technique using wooden dowels and Schedule 80 PVC. We rolled it from the deck, over the threshold at the door, through the dining room, to the hearth. It went fairly smoothly. Final positioning was easily done with a automotive floor jack with wheels. Or, four big Wisconsin football players could easily move it for you :).

Regarding burn times, that all depends upon the type of wood and amount of wood that you are using in the stove. Using dry red oak, I can get between 12 and 16 hours burn time. I define burn times from a reload to a minimal level of coals left in the bottom of the stove. If I use pine or hemlock, I may get 5 or 6 hours of burn time.

Do you have to replace any gaskets with the hybrid? How often? Is there a baffle in the stove that can break or is very fragile?

Thanks for all your information. I want about a 10 or 12 hour burn using oak and rd elm. Do you have a t connect pipe on your chimney? Slip pipe and just take the bottom pipe off for the soot eater?

Thanks for all your information. I want about a 10 or 12 hour burn using oak and rd elm. Do you have a t connect pipe on your chimney? Slip pipe and just take the bottom pipe off for the soot eater?
You should get that easy with the PH, I burn mostly oak with some ash, hickory and maple and get 12 hour burns no problem. It wasn't as hard to move as I thought, hardest part was getting it off my truck, took 4 guys and we still almost dropped it but that may have been because we all had a different idea on how to do it. After that put it on a heavy duty dolly and two guys rolled it in the basement, I made a ramp where there's 2 stairs to make it easier.

My chimney goes straight up from the top of the PH. I just remove the stove pipe and sweep all the way up to the top of the chimney. The soot eater bends so you can clean the chimney even if you have to make a 30, 45, or 90 degree turn.

Regarding burn times, you should have no problem with a 10 or 12 hour burn using hardwood.

Reactions: weatherguy
My chimney goes straight up from the top of the PH. I just remove the stove pipe and sweep all the way up to the top of the chimney. The soot eater bends so you can clean the chimney even if you have to make a 30, 45, or 90 degree turn.

Regarding burn times, you should have no problem with a 10 or 12 hour burn using hardwood.

Does ash stay in the stove? On mine it spills out on the hearth when I open the front door. I don't mind.....but my wife would like less ash and less dust in the room. Is your progress dusty?

I moved my Progress myself twice within a year. From the Tacoma out to hearth, back in, then back out to a new hearth, stairs included. It's doable, it's all about leverage, lack of friction and - time. Heaviest thing I have ever moved but in no way could even remotely lift it Rails.jpg .

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy The Pepper
Aside from this year, I'll see temps at 20-30 below and lots of wind. The stove keeps the house (1800 ft) toasty in both cases. This morning, we're in the teens. Woke up to a stove room at 72. Added three splits and expect the house will be in the mid 60s when I get home, but the stove may have no coals for stoking. While I can get 10-12 hour burns, I've found (this year) that the house overheats so I opt for smaller fires and frequently have cold starts. I've used a little over 1.5 cord since September.

My wood was marginally dry last year and I got 2-3 cups of soot. This year the wood is dry, but with the cold starts, I expect a similar amount of soot. Creosote has not been a problem at all. The stack is top mounted, exits the house 4' above the stove, then runs another 18' through the soffit. I clean the exterior through the T from the ground and pop off the interior pipe which I lay on a blanket to clean. It's really easy.

The ashpan needs emptying about once a week. Sometimes a small amount of ash falls on the hearth. There's usually detritus etc there from the wood, so it falls under the no-harm no-foul situation to me.

Does ash stay in the stove? On mine it spills out on the hearth when I open the front door. I don't mind.....but my wife would like less ash and less dust in the room. Is your progress dusty?
I don't get much ash on the hearth from daily use. Are you using the ash pan? That almost negates any ash on the hearth. Regarding cleaning the chimney with the soot eater, you have to be very intentional on catching the soot and creosote. When I'm cleaning with the soot eater I always have the shopvac ready. It is not a clean process.

Thanks for the tip. How big is the house you are heating? I am in central wis. So the climate is about the same as yours. Do you have any trouble keeping the house at 70 when the temps outside are I the single digits and below zero?

I don't have an ash pan and never get any ashes. The lip from the side loading door is deep enough that your ashes would have to be out of control to fall out. If I could I would get the ash pan, doesn't fit with the short leg kit.

I don't have an ashpan either. I heard they are good on this model (PH) which is no surprise. Some ashpans are gaaaabage on some stoves.