Woodstock Progress soot from first season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Kuhn

Dec 29, 2017
Wisconsin
Fall is coming, so time to clean the chimney. Mine is single wall 6" pipe to ceiling, then double wall stainless insulated 8" pipe (required by the old stove) for a good 17' after that. Burned about 3 cords of wood last year, and had less than a quart of very dry fluffy soot. I'm happy with that!

Attachments

• First year soot.jpg
    First year soot.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 142
John, I just cleaned my PH last weekend. I had less than one quart of creosote as well. I burned about 3 cords last winter. I sure do love my PH!

John, I just cleaned my PH last weekend. I had less than one quart of creosote as well. I burned about 3 cords last winter. I sure do love my PH!

Nice, I'm loving mine, too!
Just curious, have you replaced your catalyst yet (looks like your stove is 5-6 yrs old)? I'm going to give mine it's first vinegar bath before the burn season starts. During the burn season I took the cat out a couple of times to clear ash buildup. So easy to do!

Reactions: Highbeam
Nice, I'm loving mine, too!
Just curious, have you replaced your catalyst yet (looks like your stove is 5-6 yrs old)? I'm going to give mine it's first vinegar bath before the burn season starts. During the burn season I took the cat out a couple of times to clear ash buildup. So easy to do!
John, I replaced my cat last year. I also clean mine out around every three weeks during burning season. You shouldn't need to give it a vinegar bath after one year's use. I do mine every two years.

John, I replaced my cat last year. I also clean mine out around every three weeks during burning season. You shouldn't need to give it a vinegar bath after one year's use. I do mine every two years.

Thanks, sounds like you got decent life out of your cat, good to hear. I see they're back in stock now as a service part, as they were not available for a long time. Also good to know the vinegar bath does not have to be frequent, although it appears fairly easy to do.