Woodstock Soapstone Fireview Refurb and Hearth Build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thank you!
So is it just double wall running through the thimble? Or do you have to get an adaptor and transition over to class A where it hits the thimble?

This thimble has double wall straight through it to an existing masonry chimney. I think depending on your install it could call for something different.

Reactions: tabner
how does this stove compare with something like the hearthstone heritage? build quality, ease of use and repair, heat output, etc. i've stayed away from soapstone because of purported slow steady heat rather than faster hotter output from cast iron.

how does this stove compare with something like the hearthstone heritage? build quality, ease of use and repair, heat output, etc. i've stayed away from soapstone because of purported slow steady heat rather than faster hotter output from cast iron.

The new hearthstone heritage may be better but the noncat hearthstone heritage was far inferior to the fireview. I pushed 30 cords through a noncat heritage. Sure looked good but it was not built for efficiency or long term use.

I don't have any experience with the heritage model, but I have burned with cast iron, and plate steel stoves. You pretty much summed up the argument in your question. Soapstone stoves take longer for the thermal mass to come to temperature and for that radiant heat to start heating up the room. This also means that it continues to put heat out long after the fire burns down.

My experience with steel and cast iron stoves is that they are great for a putting heat into the room quickly but are not as good for keeping longer stable heat like soapstone.

I suppose it depends on your personal preferences but for me I will never go back to a cast iron or steel stove after burning the woodstock fireview.

I don't have any experience with the heritage model, but I have burned with cast iron, and plate steel stoves. You pretty much summed up the argument in your question. Soapstone stoves take longer for the thermal mass to come to temperature and for that radiant heat to start heating up the room. This also means that it continues to put heat out long after the fire burns down.

My experience with steel and cast iron stoves is that they are great for a putting heat into the room quickly but are not as good for keeping longer stable heat like soapstone.

I suppose it depends on your personal preferences but for me I will never go back to a cast iron or steel stove after burning the woodstock fireview.

The difference is that your fireview provides long burn times with a very good catalyst system that is designed for long burns. Makes the soapstone less relevant when your actual fire is burning.

Noncat soapstone stoves are much different. You’re always trying to reheat that dang, but pretty, stone.

Reactions: Tyguy
The difference is that your fireview provides long burn times with a very good catalyst system that is designed for long burns. Makes the soapstone less relevant when your actual fire is burning.

Noncat soapstone stoves are much different. You’re always trying to reheat that dang, but pretty, stone.
Interesting, thanks for the info!

Thus the cast-iron jacketed stove became popular. It has the buffering characteristics of soapstone by softening the radiant heat and slowly releasing it back over time, with the look of a cast-iron stove.

Reactions: Tyguy
I have the same stove. How did you adapt the 6.5 opening to 6" stove pipe? I'm using double wall and it's too small and I can't find adapters that size. Thanks
What is the inside diameter of the flue collar on the stove? What brand of double-wall stove pipe is being used?