Woodstock Soapstone Fireview Refurb and Hearth Build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tyguy

Oct 2, 2018
Orland, Maine
Hi all!

I thought I would share a progress build of refurbing my Woodstock Soapstone Fireview and heath.

I bought the Fireview on Craigslist for $260. It was in pretty rough shape but these stoves are pretty hard to destroy and I love the fact that you can order every part for it online.

I basically had to replace the entire innards of the stove other than the main cast iron framework. All in all I would say I have about $1200 into the project including the stove piping and hearth build.

Hearth is 2 sheets of 1/2 Durarock and 3/8" bluestone tile on top. Double walled piping. I didn't have too many options on how I could run the vent piping so I think it came out decent considering.

Here are the photos, I'll try and put them in order of start to finish.

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg17.jpg18.jpg19.jpg21.jpg22.jpg23.jpg25.jpg26.jpg27.jpg29.jpg30.jpg31.jpg33.jpg34.jpg36.jpg32.jpg12.jpg MVIMG_20200810_150303.jpg

Last edited:
I love it when new life is breathed into an old soul so that it can carry on for another generation. Well done. It looks great.

Reactions: Highbeam
I love it when new life is breathed into an old soul so that it can carry on for another generation. Well done. It looks great.
I agree! I love refurbishing and tinkering with things to bring them back to life. I also tend to be cheap so buying busted up old stuff and fixing it up seems to work for that as well! haha

Thanks for the feedback :)

Is the bottom heat shield in place by chance? Can't tell by looking. Sweet stove! Always wanted one.

Is the bottom heat shield in place by chance? Can't tell by looking. Sweet stove! Always wanted one.

Yes it is! I ended up putting the rear shield on as well. The bottom shield is basically flush with the bottom. It is a great stove I am very pleased with it, both in function and aesthetics.

Seeing the step by step reinstallation of the upper innards really helps me understand how this stove works. Pretty great that you could replace all of that without breaking the stones out.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Seeing the step by step reinstallation of the upper innards really helps me understand how this stove works. Pretty great that you could replace all of that without breaking the stones out.
I was so surprised and thankful that I was able to as well! Woodstock was super easy to order from, their website was simple and easy to order from.

The actual refurb was not that difficult, just time consuming. I have a great understanding of the stove now and I think it makes me appreciate it even more.

Thanks for sharing. That hearth looks awesome! I really like the tile.
Did you do the stove pipe yourself? Any chance you can share the link for that wall thimble?
My pipe installation is going to be exactly identical to that and I'm trying to figure out the correct thimble.

the cats look pleased, that's all that really matters.

Reactions: Highbeam
You did what I should have done with our used Jotul when we got it.

I had a couple of years of pretty inefficient burning until I figured out that it needed some overhauling.

Congrats on the rebuild--and love the sleeping cat picture--i have one from when we got ours fired up on the first cold day--three cats decoratively sprawled about...

Did you do the stove pipe yourself? Any chance you can share the link for that wall thimble?
My pipe installation is going to be exactly identical to that and I'm trying to figure out the correct thimble.
I did do the stove pipe myself. I 'll get you the link tomorrow. It was a duravent thimble. Took me a while to figure out everything that I needed.

Reactions: tabner
You did what I should have done with our used Jotul when we got it.

I had a couple of years of pretty inefficient burning until I figured out that it needed some overhauling.

Congrats on the rebuild--and love the sleeping cat picture--i have one from when we got ours fired up on the first cold day--three cats decoratively sprawled about...
Thanks! I figured I knew it needed some serious work, so while I was going through the hassle to do that I might as well do a full rebuild,

The cats love the stove. They both had to learn the hard way about hot wood stoves though unfortunately and both jumped on while hot. Not serious burns but was not fun to watch happen.

Wonderful job bringing that beauty back to life. One of my all-time favorite stoves, love the look and they just burn and heat so nice. I will be doing a bit of a refurbish on ours to get it in the living room. Enjoy the fruits of all that labor, it always seems to make things sweeter.

huauqui

Wonderful job bringing that beauty back to life. One of my all-time favorite stoves, love the look and they just burn and heat so nice. I will be doing a bit of a refurbish on ours to get it in the living room. Enjoy the fruits of all that labor, it always seems to make things sweeter.

huauqui

Thanks very much! Good luck with your refub.

Sitting by the stove right now enjoy the fruits :)

Reactions: huauqui

This was the thimble I used. https://www.northlineexpress.com/6-duratech-wall-thimble-6dt-wt-7059.html

There was still a bit of a gap so I just used a cheap cover to slip on and cover that small gap.

Good luck with your install!

Reactions: tabner
This is the first time I've seen pictures of the inside of a Woodstock soapstone stove. They look very robust and high quality! If we ever needed a new stove I wouldn't hesitate to go with Woodstock.

This is the first time I've seen pictures of the inside of a Woodstock soapstone stove. They look very robust and high quality! If we ever needed a new stove I wouldn't hesitate to go with Woodstock.

Quality for sure, every part of the stove is meant to be serviceable / replaceable which is great.

Hey, where Downeast are you? I used to live in Milbridge.

Cheers

Quality for sure, every part of the stove is meant to be serviceable / replaceable which is great.

Hey, where Downeast are you? I used to live in Milbridge.

Cheers
We live in between Cutler and East Machias. My MIL was renting a place in Milbridge, but recently moved to Machias.

I've never seen cats used as kindling before. ;)

Nice job on the rebuild. I love seeing old things get rebuilt and reused and not wasted.

I've never seen cats used as kindling before. ;)

Nice job on the rebuild. I love seeing old things get rebuilt and reused and not wasted.
haha

They jumped right in as soon as I put the stove in place. I didn't have the glass installed so I can see why.