Jotul F45 v2 Greenville vs Woodstock Soapstone Palladian

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maxwell G Bones

Jun 4, 2023
Connecticut
Hi folks,
I'm new to the forum - joined about a year ago - there is a lot of good reading on here and I've learned quite a bit. I'm close to making a stove purchase and thought I'd reach out to ask if anyone has any insights to share. I'd locked on the Jotul F45 vs Greenville last year, but it looks like it's no longer eligible for a federal tax credit (its efficiency rating is 71%) so I'm doing some more research and thinking about the Woodstock Soapstone Palladian (I like the Fireview too, but the simpler Palladian design appeals a little more).

My set up: 1300 sq ft two story wooden house in New England with plenty of heat loss. Chimney is in the center of the house, brick, but I'm adding a stainless steel liner. It's about 4 feet above the roof line. I'm planning to put the stove on the first floor. I'll have a heat pump to keep a baseline stable temp at 55 degrees and for backup.

I've heated with wood for a few winters using an older model Vermont Castings clunker and a Waterford that took about 3 hours to get going. I like that the Jotul F45 and the Woodstock Soapstone Fireview and Palladian seem to get high ratings for easy start up, and long stable burns. I'm pretty busy with other stuff so a beginner stove is probably a good fit for me. I like the simple look of the Jotul F45. I thought the Fireview, pretty as it is, might feel too ornate for a stove in the end. But efficiency and low emissions are also a priority, so now I'm thinking I should lean toward Woodstock Soapstone, which seems to have better performance on this front.

Curious to hear if folks have experience with these two particular stoves, or other insight, that might tip the pendulum one way or the other. And if there's another post that covers all this, my apologies.

Thanks very much!

Both are good stoves, though very different from each other. Either one would do the job well. The Woodstock will burn at a lower rate if mild weather heating is more important. The Palladian is designed for a 7" flue, but if the flue system drafts strong enough then a 6" flue may be sufficient. Ask Woodstock for that. The Palladian is a side-loader do make sure the hearth is wide enough. Another benefit is Woodstock'support. It's a small company that directly connects with the customer.
The Jotul F45 is a castiron jacketed stove for a softer heat that is very similar to soapstone heating. The mass of the cast iron softens the side radiant heat and releases it into the room as the fire dies down. The stove is nicely made with quality hardware and generally very low maintenance.

Both are good stoves, though very different from each other. Either one would do the job well. The Woodstock will burn at a lower rate if mild weather heating is more important. The Palladian is designed for a 7" flue, but if the flue system drafts strong enough then a 6" flue may be sufficient. Ask Woodstock for that. The Palladian is a side-loader do make sure the hearth is wide enough. Another benefit is Woodstock'support. It's a small company that directly connects with the customer.
The Jotul F45 is a castiron jacketed stove for a softer heat that is very similar to soapstone heating. The mass of the cast iron softens the side radiant heat and releases it into the room as the fire dies down. The stove is nicely made with quality hardware and generally very low maintenance.
begreen, thanks for the reply and for the detailed info. They do seem to be pretty different stoves that would do the job well. I can confirm about Woodstock support. I just called them to see if they could help me find one in my area that I could look at. They couldn't help me with that, but they were just about the nicest support rep I've ever talked to.

begreen, thanks for the reply and for the detailed info. They do seem to be pretty different stoves that would do the job well. I can confirm about Woodstock support. I just called them to see if they could help me find one in my area that I could look at. They couldn't help me with that, but they were just about the nicest support rep I've ever talked to.
Take a short trip up to the company and get a tour. You'll probably end up bringing one home.

I’ve owned all three of your choices. The Palladian may be a little under powered for a two story but the Fireview shouldn’t be with the larger fire box. The Fireview also has an easier cat access compared to the Palladian.

Currently I’m burning the F45 in a new log cabin and I really like it. Very easy to operate, similar burn times to the Woodstock’s as well as the softer heat like Begreen stated above.

Can you work on the heat loss aspect of the house? A little air sealing will go a long way.
Absolutely - that's the plan. It's a 1910 worker cottage - double zero insulation and original windows. Going with blown in cellulose. The original storms are all intact. Single pane on a wooden frame that stays put all winter. They actually do a pretty good job. My brother-in-law who works on retrofitting old houses for energy efficiency said he thought the old storms have about as good R value as new double pane window replacements. There will still be some heat loss I expect around the window frames, but with insulation and maybe some new exterior doors, it'll be in much better shape I think. Do you think I should be sizing up and getting a bigger stove, or do you think the Palladian and F45 can handle it?

I’ve owned all three of your choices. The Palladian may be a little under powered for a two story but the Fireview shouldn’t be with the larger fire box. The Fireview also has an easier cat access compared to the Palladian.

Currently I’m burning the F45 in a new log cabin and I really like it. Very easy to operate, similar burn times to the Woodstock’s as well as the softer heat like Begreen stated above.
Todd - Thanks so much for your reply and talking to someone who's owned all three stoves, I feel like I hit pay dirt.

That's very helpful info that the Palladian might be under powered. I was worried about that so this is very helpful.

Glad to hear you're liking the F45. Sure does sound like a nice stove, the way you describe it.

the Jotul F45 and the Woodstock Soapstone Fireview and Palladian seem to get high ratings for easy start up, and long stable burns.
I've had both the Fireview and Keystone (same stove as Palladian.) It's only about 1000 sq.ft. but our house had quite a bit of heat loss. The Fireview definitely puts out a bit more heat, for a bit longer with the bigger box, but I resolved to tighten up some of the air leaks and keep the Keystone because I like the big glass and really like the ash grate, which I'd had previously with the VC Dutchwest. The Keystone tosses the heat when you need it, if you open the air up a bit over 1. The Woodstock straight cats are built like tanks..stone and cast iron. One drawback is the cat expense. You'll want to replace it at three to four years to keep peak performance and get to the cruise stage quicker. OTOH, you can run a cat stove at pretty low output when desired. The Woodstock cats are relatively inexpensive, as cats go.
I think any of those three stoves would be a choice you could be happy with.
The Palladian is designed for a 7" flue, but if the flue system drafts strong enough then a 6" flue may be sufficient.
I haven't heard of anyone using 7" chimney on the stove. My Keystone draws great, rear-vented into 7>6" reducer, tee, and 16' of 6" insulated liner, even when it's pretty warm outside.

Last edited:
I suppose I should first state that I wouldn’t let the tax credit be the deciding factor in which stove to buy. A wood stove will last 20+ years and give you lots of service. The $20 or so dollars you save per year with the credit isn’t worth buying your second stove choice. Buy the one you want!

Ok, so CT is warm. At least compared to many areas of the country. I don’t think you’re going to need to blast heat out for months on end.

Insulating and air sealing your home will greatly increase the comfort level. It’ll also cut your heating needs greatly. But right now we don’t know how much lower your heating needs will be.

The Woodstock has a 1.4cuft firebox and the F45 has a 2.3cu ft firebox. Obviously the 2.3 will hold more fuel and throw more heat. Both are excellent stoves.

Both stoves are going to want good, dry wood. The F45 will be a bit less picky about what you feed it.

I don’t think you’ll need the higher capacity. I think you’ll find yourself running your stove on low during the long shoulder seasons that CT has and given the cat, the Palladian will excell at this. If you can keep good, dry wood I’d go with the Palladian.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Seems like a road trip is in my future, reading the tea leaves. Going to look at the Jotul tomorrow. Not sure when I'll be able to make it up to New Hampshire, but it's definitely on my list.
Take a short trip up to the company and get a tour. You'll probably end up bringing one home.
Drove out to a Jotul dealer today to see the F45. Nothing like seeing something in real life. They are much chunkier hunks of metal than I would have guessed, looking at pictures. They seem well-built and kind of indestructible. Nice solid handle. Lined with fire-brick. The very nice sales person said she's heated her 1300 drafty farmhouse with an F45 for five years with no issues. Hasn't used her oil heat once (that said, this was in Maryland where it's a lot warmer even than Connecticut). The sales person also said this is a steel stove with a cast iron door, not all cast iron, which was news to me (I didn't see this on the Jotul website). Seeing it in person, you do kind of wonder how much you'd miss the ash tray (my guess is that's a nice thing to have). I also think I'd miss the side loading feature of the VC and Waterford I've used in the past. Next up is a trip to Vermont to see the Keystone. Might take me a minute to get up there but I'm thinking I should bring a trailer so I can bring one home.

Actually the F45 is a steel fire box surrounded by a cast iron shroud.

Sometimes I miss my old Woodstocks. The ash pan on the Keystone was a nice feature.

Yes, that is why refer to the F45 as a castiron jacketed stove.

I have burned the Keystone for 11 seasons and I have burned 24/7 for most of them. I’m on my second cat and may put in a new one for the 23/24 season. I have replaced a few gaskets: the window, door, ash pan and cat. I have gotten great support from Woodstock and my case is even more complicated because I live in Japan and all the parts include international shipping.

For my situation I learned that with soapstone 24/7 burning works best because it takes time to get the stove up to temp, but once it reaches the operating temperature it cruises for long time.

Drove out to a Jotul dealer today to see the F45. Nothing like seeing something in real life. They are much chunkier hunks of metal than I would have guessed, looking at pictures. They seem well-built and kind of indestructible. Nice solid handle. Lined with fire-brick. The very nice sales person said she's heated her 1300 drafty farmhouse with an F45 for five years with no issues. Hasn't used her oil heat once (that said, this was in Maryland where it's a lot warmer even than Connecticut). The sales person also said this is a steel stove with a cast iron door, not all cast iron, which was news to me (I didn't see this on the Jotul website). Seeing it in person, you do kind of wonder how much you'd miss the ash tray (my guess is that's a nice thing to have). I also think I'd miss the side loading feature of the VC and Waterford I've used in the past. Next up is a trip to Vermont to see the Keystone. Might take me a minute to get up there but I'm thinking I should bring a trailer so I can bring one home.
You may want to take a right turn to NH as this is where Woodstock is located. Granted it is right on the border between the two.

Reactions: Maxwell G Bones