Woodstock Soapstone Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nonnajojo

Oct 1, 2018
Brookfield, CT
I'm enjoying reading these posts. I am considering getting a Woodstock Soapstone for my fireplace. My home is 1200 sf. Great room where the stove will be installed is almost 400 sf. adjoining dining and kitchen are another 200 sf. The ceiling in the great room are 12'. WS suggested the Keystone or Progress Hybrid. Would appreciate input. Thank you.

The tall ceilings will mean more volume to heat, but if the attic and wall insulation is good, it shouldn't take a lot more heat. I'm not sure about the Progress in this situation. It might be too much stove. The Fireview would also work and it requires a smaller 6" liner vs the Keystone's 7". Another cat alternative would be a Blaze King cat insert.

I’m really curious why WS skipped over the Fireview?

I’m really curious why WS skipped over the Fireview?

Me too. It’s also a rear venter for the op’s fireplace. Quite a jump from the keystone to the ph.

Yes, the Fireview would be my first recommendation, but maybe there was an aesthetics question? The Keystone is a more contemporary design.