Woodstock's new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I can’t help but assume this is based on an issue I had with the two Ashford 30.1’s I purchased three years ago. There was an issue with a few Ashford 30.1’s going out the door with the old 30.0 ash pan drawer, which was resolved by BK sending me new trays. These trays were fully safety tested, but still had a bit of an issue with spilling ash out the back, and so BK went above and beyond to design a new tray to retrofit stoves they had already shipped, which has completely resolved this issue.

So, there’s apparently an incorrect rumor or assumption out there, that BK ash trays don’t work, but it was really an issue with a very small number of stoves, shipped at a specific point in time, and was quickly resolved.

No sir, it was a comment about my stove and the ash tray it has. Supposedly I have the "upgraded" tray with the larger ash plug, and it's completely useless. The plug lines up with the back edge of the tray, so whenever you try to shovel ash in, it just pools up on the lip and spills off the backside.
I like the stove, but the ash tray is definitely not one of the reasons.. it does make a nice warming drawer for dinner rolls though. I'm unaware of any fix to this problem.

Edit: here is my post from a while back with pictures: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ead-everything-bk.145814/page-38#post-2002710

Last edited:
Thanks for that info Kenny2339 . Upstate NY winters would be comparable to ours . I wonder how well insulated his small cabin was ? My thinking is that my small cabin with only a 6ft ceiling height at the back wall going up to a 10ft ceiling height at the front wall ( about 16 ft between the two walls) along with good insulation all around and double glazed windows just shouldn't take that much heat to get it warm and keep it warm . Along with saving as much floor space as possible there aren't that many viable options other than a small stove along with an electric space heater .I don't want to deal with a gas heater . Also, I very much want to sit with a hot coffee ,watch the flames and look out the window at the snow . I'm still looking at options and thinking about which way to go .Thanks for any and all help .............

Bob

No sir, it was a comment about my stove and the ash tray it has. Supposedly I have the "upgraded" tray with the larger ash plug, and it's completely useless. The plug lines up with the back edge of the tray, so whenever you try to shovel ash in, it just pools up on the lip and spills off the backside.
I like the stove, but the ash tray is definitely not one of the reasons.. it does make a nice warming drawer for dinner rolls though. I'm unaware of any fix to this problem.

Edit: here is my post from a while back with pictures: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ead-everything-bk.145814/page-38#post-2002710

Yep, I had those pans on my stoves. That was not the 30.0 pan, which mistakenly shipped on one of my two stoves, but the first 30.1 pan. I agree, it was not good. If you like to use the pan, and not just shovel, you’d do well to talk to BKVP about their latest pan for this stove. It uses triple-glide rails, to move the pan farther back, such that it’s more centered under the plug. It has made me love my Ashfords again, as I was also very frustrated with that original design.

Of course, if you don’t intend to use the pan, I’d not bother. It is some work to swap out the pan tray.

Reactions: ddddddden
Yep, I had those pans on my stoves. That was not the 30.0 pan, which mistakenly shipped on one of my two stoves, but the first 30.1 pan. I agree, it was not good. If you like to use the pan, and not just shovel, you’d do well to talk to BKVP about their latest pan for this stove. It uses triple-glide rails, to move the pan farther back, such that it’s more centered under the plug. It has made me love my Ashfords again, as I was also very frustrated with that original design.

Of course, if you don’t intend to use the pan, I’d not bother. It is some work to swap out the pan tray.

Ah, I didn't know there was another redesign... yes, I'd much rather use the pan if it works, shoveling can be quite the dusty affair. I'll contact BKVP, thanks!

Reactions: ddddddden
Hi,
I love the stove. It is overkill for my house at about 1800 sqft. The nice thing is that even though it is oversized it is well mannered. You can dial it way down so it doesn't overheat the place. The fire power is there when you need it too.
Thanks. I currently have a Heritage and heating 2000 sq. ft. The stove heats well until the temps. drop to the low teens and single digits. Then it just can't keep up. I am also going though a lot of wood and I have to reload every 4 hours or so.

Thanks. I currently have a Heritage and heating 2000 sq. ft. The stove heats well until the temps. drop to the low teens and single digits. Then it just can't keep up. I am also going though a lot of wood and I have to reload every 4 hours or so.

Don’t be shy about running that central heating, to make up the difference, when the stove can’t keep up. A warm family is more important than bragging rights on being able to heat 100% with wood. Just keep that stove going, and you’re still saving a buttload of cash on your heating bill.

I keep two stoves going 24/7, but my burn rates are dictated by my schedule, not my heating needs. Thus, I run the oil-fired boiler to make up the difference. By doing this, I drop my oil usage from 0.54 gallons to 0.20 gallons per heating degree day. A good deal, without the inconvenience of trying to heat 100% by wood, on those cold days, when I’m at work.

I ran 14 hour reload cycles this weekend. I keep the thermostat set at 68 and the heat never came on. It was 20-30 out with snow. I left my house all day Sunday and didn't get home till 10. The house was nice and warm with plenty of coals still in the stove when I got home. This wasn't even packed full with mostly junk wood.

Cool! I am very curious to see what kind of burn time folks get in the real world with this little stove and how it does a consistent low burn. There are lots of small spaces where this could be a good fit.