Woodstove in garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ont_lumberjack

Hearth Supporter
Jan 29, 2009
Northern Ontario
Hi,

I'd like to put a woodstove in my garage as its awful cold to try and do anything down there in the winter.

Here's my scenario. There is an existing brick chimney. There is a fireplace in the room directly behind my garage. I want to connect to the existing chimney. Problem is, there is another fireplace in the room directly above where my downstairs fireplace is. How do I go about ensuring that I do this right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

If your garage is attached to your house I don't think you can install a stove in your garage.

First, check with your homeowner's insurance company to see if they will allow this is a garage. Typically, if you store anything with gasoline in this garage, the insurance company will say no. Second, check with your local inspectors as they may deny for the same reason.

Shari

i doubt they will cover it ,insurance never seem to cover garage burners ,you could always chance it if your super safe and brave ,i know alot of pwople who do and are careful with no worries

Is this a garage that you park a car in? Or is this a work shop? If its a work-hobby shop and set up as so, you should be OK. I have mine set up as a wood shop. cabinets, bench's, saws, lathe, planner, drill press, ect. You can clearly see this is not a car shop. A {shed was built} for lawn-snow equipment, gas oil ect. I had {water based glue and Finnish} setting about also, And had no problem when my when my agent came out. If this is a car shop I would scrap the whole idea as its not safe.

Sawdust, just like grain dust, can be very explosive. Haven't you seen Myth Busters?

How about using an OWB?

LLigetfa, Yes it can be Explosive I have a Dust Gorilla cyclone dust collector with 1 micron pleated filter that helps keep things clean and dust out of my lungs when sanding, its in a separate smaller room with vents that draw in clean warm air from the shop area. I produce more shavings then anything from the lathe and planer, some dust from a band saw but it runs slow so it's not a real problem, All equipment has a 5'' dust ports if needed. I have 1 long 5'' flex tube from the Gorilla that I plug into whatever I'm using for any length of time. I worry more about static Electricity running back to the dust collector. I spent a week running extra ground wires to everything. This is just a hobby I mostly work on the lathe, But I also do custom boxs with exotic woods. Really would like to build a nice big modern clock if it ever get the time ;-) Oh ya I compost all my shavings won't even think of burning them, That would be like tossin gas on the fire :ahhh:

Lots of us have woodstoves in our workshops, and we're obviously very careful about what we do in there when our stoves are burning, or we wouldn't be here posting. A workshop's one thing, a "garage" is another. A garage is, by it's nature, assumed to be a place in which an automobile is parked (potential for gasoline fumes). NFPA 211 quite specifically prohibits installation of a solid fuel-burning appliance in any garage, or any other space where volatile fumes might exist. NFPA 211 is a standard...it's neither law nor code...but the provisions of NFPA 211 have been adopted into code by many local jurisdictions all over North America. Some jurisdictions allow woodburners in garages, some place restrictions on them, others flat out prohibit them. It's up to the local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) to make that determination. This may be the local Community Development Department, the County or City Building Department, the Fire Marshall, or whomever one would go to for a building permit or approval for the installation. Homeowner's insurance is a whole other thing between the owner and the insurance carrier, but the insurance carrier is likely to place a heavy weight on the AHJ's judgement. Rick

check with your insurance company. Fire in the garage where there is volital fuels present are not a good mix.

fossil said:
Lots of us have woodstoves in our workshops, and we're obviously very careful about what we do in there when our stoves are burning, or we wouldn't be here posting. A workshop's one thing, a "garage" is another. A garage is, by it's nature, assumed to be a place in which an automobile is parked (potential for gasoline fumes). NFPA 211 quite specifically prohibits installation of a solid fuel-burning appliance in any garage, or any other space where volatile fumes might exist. NFPA 211 is a standard...it's neither law nor code...but the provisions of NFPA 211 have been adopted into code by many local jurisdictions all over North America. Some jurisdictions allow woodburners in garages, some place restrictions on them, others flat out prohibit them. It's up to the local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) to make that determination. This may be the local Community Development Department, the County or City Building Department, the Fire Marshall, or whomever one would go to for a building permit or approval for the installation. Homeowner's insurance is a whole other thing between the owner and the insurance carrier, but the insurance carrier is likely to place a heavy weight on the AHJ's judgement. Rick

Uh . . . yeah . . . what he said. :) Couldn't have said it any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.