Woodstove Wisdom vs what I think I know...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHcpa

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Honyock NH
1. Chimney liner - YES. Insulated vs uninsulated, for interior chimney, your guess.
2. OAK vs no oak for wood, not too much discussion (so don't know). Pellet gets a YES.
3. Have plenty of rope gasket on hand for routene maintenance. YES
4. Dry wood, 20% or less - YES. Get a moisture meter (aka mm). YES. also makes great Xmas stocking stuffer.
5. Wet wood, burns poorly, kills cat, adds creosote. Your a newbie, loser, uninformed, and need central heat. Sell the stove.
6. When cleaning, keep the dead coal to light off the next fire. Dont be so anal you sweep/vac everything out between fires. Dead coals are your friend.
7. Replaced glass on doors because years of service, gaskets have now failed. Gaskets replaced and both glass units cracked. F€¥#& me! Hey, it's Pyrex, ever have your spouse complain the casserole just exploded in the oven with Pyrex? Screw it,replace the glass as well as the gasket. Don't pay 40% more for glass on line for oem, go to your local glass company for replacement.
8. Block off plate - YES. Wood,or pellet, did I say YES?
9. Rocksul, YES. It's cheap, why not?
10. Heating rooms outside the stove area? Blow the cold room air towards the stove. YES! Defies logic, but those in the know swear by it. What the heck do I know.
11. Air control, with cat (and perhaps all stoves), less air is best if you maintain operating temps. DO NOT use ash pan door to start up fire. OK. (Must admit, I still sneak a cigarette now and then).
12. Starting fire - top down or bottom up? I like it on top, but we are talking fire here. Whatever... Works.
13. Wood vs pellet? With the price of pellets AND the maintenance, my experiance, WOOD. Regret I put a pellet stove in my fireplace. This said, I have never owned a Pinto or Pacer. So,all is not lost.
14. Ambiance - my opinion - WOOD! The light off a pellet stove is equal to looking at a blow torch flame. Not my thing, especially with a recent diagnose of a cataract.
15. Stove temp probe, chimney magnetic guage or magnetic guage on the stove? WTF, I suppose I could hire a consultant and have the temp professionally figured... In the end, you will know your stove. BTW, I use a magnetic temp on my stove pipe and I think I know my stove.
15. I have been burning for years and years...but only for 5-6 months out of the year... Each year I have to then remember what I did the past years and each year brings on a new nuance. This said, this website helps.
16. Add yours...

Respectfully submitted,

Status
Not open for further replies.