Work boot recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I'm looking for a good boot with some decent support, somewhat comfortable with a steel toe. I'm tired of dropping wood on my toes. :)

Redwing steel toe. Some are made in the good ole USA also.

Bought a pair of Redwings from the discount room in one of the local stores here for $80 a couple of years back. Steel toes & insulated. Very nice support and comfortable steel toe even for my wide feet. Even comfortable after 8 hours in the woods, but by then it's nice to take them off as well. They have held up to a good bit of abuse over the last couple of years and are still in good shape. If you have the time, look around you may find a good deal on old stock or the like somewhere. I kind of lucked out as I was able to fit the size 15 they had as last years leftovers (partially makes up for all of the times I have been out of luck finding something in my size). The steel toes are great, but wood seems to have a knack for falling off of the splitter and landing on my foot just behind the steel toe when I am wearing these boots.

If it is just for hustling wood around in the yard pretty much any steel toe boot. For running a saw I always wear my Matterhorn Miner's boots. They have Kevlar lining and a steel metatarsal guard to keep the saw from going through the top of your instep and majorly changing your life.

Of course they cost four hundred bucks but feet are worth a lot more.

[quote author="BrotherBart" date="1272697350"] I always wear my Matterhorn Miner's boots. quote]

......and call from the mountain tops; R I C O L A

I love my Redwing! I had two pair that I wore alternate days at the factory for ten years. One pair finally split out last year. The acid from the plating tanks did them in. The other pair still has a lot of life left in them. $200 boots but still less than $10 a year! I have a couple other pair that old I wear for casual and they are like brand new. Did I say I love Redwing boots?

If you have wide feet, steel toes can be a real hassle as the vast majority of shoe companies use a standard ANSI steel or composite toe cap that is one width for each size. I have size 13 4-E and wearing standard steel toes for any lenght of time really beats up on my toes. I have has luck with Hitchcock shoes http://www.wideshoes.com/ as source of work boots as they have special extra wide toes caps that meets ANSI specs.

Red Wings are THE boot. Seem to cost more, yet actualy cost much less than any other.
Sadly, they are often made in China these days, so the high quality may soon be a thing of the past.

+1 on the Red Wings!!

I picked up a pair of 10" steel toe electrical hazard boots at a local army surplus store that had ordered them for a guy that did not show to pick them up for a year. $109 out the door.

I have been delighted with them. Only difference from the picture is that they have a rubberized coating that seals the sole up about 2" onto the upper. They are completely waterproof and very comfortable for long days of wood processing.

I bought them a size big (lucky on the stock) to put thick socks in. The combination of wool socks and these boots is really pleasant.

http://workingperson.com/products/2...s_Steel_Toe_Electrical_Hazard_Boots_2238.html

Attachments

• 02238-0-redwingp_01.jpg
    02238-0-redwingp_01.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 765
Beowulf said:
+1 on the Red Wings!!

I picked up a pair of 10" steel toe electrical hazard boots at a local army surplus store that had ordered them for a guy that did not show to pick them up for a year. $109 out the door.

I have been delighted with them. Only difference from the picture is that they have a rubberized coating that seals the sole up about 2" onto the upper. They are completely waterproof and very comfortable for long days of wood processing.

I bought them a size big (lucky on the stock) to put thick socks in. The combination of wool socks and these boots is really pleasant.

http://workingperson.com/products/2...s_Steel_Toe_Electrical_Hazard_Boots_2238.html

Thats a boot.

I've been buying work boots at Cabela's. Should say that I bought one pair of boots at Cabela's. Cabela's brand work boots have a 'lifetime' warranty, meaning they figure the lifetime of a work boot to be about one year. That's about how long mine last before they start to leak and the sole breaks down enough that it starts to bother my back. I take them back in the original box with the receipt, and get store credit for the price of the boot, no questions asked. I guess it helps to live 15 minutes away from a store, plus it's a good excuse to go there ;-)

been wearing redwings for the last ten years. i am a tradesmen and make my living on my feet. i've tried other "cheaper" boots, but they usually fall apart quickly and that money ends up as wasted. BUY redwings and never look back. i will caution you "once you buy a pair of redwings, the next time you buy a workboot they will cost twice as much". they last a while!

Definately the Red Wing boots. If you can in your area, go to a dedicated Red Wing small "mom&pop;" store. Deal with a person there that can size-up your feet properly.

All the Red Wings I tried had the steel toe cut into my feet. Ended up with a pair of Georgia Boots that had the biggest toe box I could find. Still love taking them off at the end of the day.

kenny chaos said:
Schmidt from TSC and ask for the lifetime warranty.

You got that right. For the extra 9.99 for the two year coverage I have already replaced them once after a year. But boots usually last me 6 months so the quality is definetly good. I wear them everyday. Work and at home and put them through their paces for sure. I have noticed they don't get as smelly as other boots also. I think they went for around $90 with the replacement plan.

Thanks guys! This is the info I'm looking for.

LLigetfa, I like the rubber toe idea. I'm always kicking rounds to move them around.

Red Wings . . . I've always been hard on footwear and these boots hold up very well. I wear them every day for work . . . both at work and at home. Comfortable and tough.

woodmeister said:
been wearin redwings for 25 yrs. havn't found any better yet.

I would at least take them off. They might be great boots, but after 25 years I am sure they aren't smelling so April fresh. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.