Work Done in 2019

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
101_2182.JPG
101_2184.JPG
With a possible 10 inches of snow coming in for our area, I decided to check the trails for any downed wood. Picture 2174 is a dead popple that brought down a small beech (pic 2177).

After I checked the rest of the trails (all open) I went back to the area we'll be taking down some ash since EAB hit our county, in pic 2181 I took down two bent over yellow birch and a maple, this will allow me to drop the ash just in back of those trees. In pic 2184 there is another ash in back of the trailer on the right that will come down.

I had to pick the truck up at the dealers so I didn't fell any of the ash along with a possible 10 inches of snow coming in.

Attachments

• 101_2174.JPG
    101_2174.JPG
    825 KB · Views: 499
  • 101_2175.JPG
    101_2175.JPG
    833.8 KB · Views: 522
  • 101_2176.JPG
    101_2176.JPG
    896.6 KB · Views: 487
  • 101_2177.JPG
    101_2177.JPG
    823 KB · Views: 501
  • 101_2181.JPG
    101_2181.JPG
    986.6 KB · Views: 576
  • 101_2185.JPG
    101_2185.JPG
    928.5 KB · Views: 499
  • 101_2186.JPG
    101_2186.JPG
    785.9 KB · Views: 484
Nothing done so far. Too much mud. Hopefully freeze up this weekend but may snow so who knows.
We're getting some heavy wet snow again today with some minus temps starting tomorrow night, everything will be frozen good up here.

I can't believe all the rain certain states are still getting, I hope it dries up for you.

If we get all the wet heavy snow they're calling for (12 inches) with some wind gust of 25 mph , I'm thinking we'll lose power tonight.

Tomorrow we'll bring in what firewood is left outside from the stack we planned on burning in January, we should be done burning the firewood planned for January on the 25.

Hearing that it may actually turn to winter for the next few weeks. Have enough dry wood on hand but may use surprising amount considering how warm its been this year.

We finally have some winter temps but it is still to warm to turn the tractor loose in the yard, it was 35 here today. I did process some wood and fill the garage back up for the week. The yard was solid enough to have the dogs outside most of the day without turning into muddy pigs. I do think winter is here about time we need some cold. My wood piles seem like they have barely moved with the way winter has been this year, but I think that is about to change.

Reactions: thewoodlands
We finally have some winter temps but it is still to warm to turn the tractor loose in the yard, it was 35 here today. I did process some wood and fill the garage back up for the week. The yard was solid enough to have the dogs outside most of the day without turning into muddy pigs. I do think winter is here about time we need some cold. My wood piles seem like they have barely moved with the way winter has been this year, but I think that is about to change.
It has been a regular winter for us cold wise but we still don't have the snow we use to get when we moved up here over 15 years ago.

Last winter seemed to hang on forever so hopefully spring comes early this year.

Reactions: jaoneill
I’m a warm weather person so I’m ready for spring anytime. But with all the rain lately I’m good for some cold to get a good freeze. It seemed like it was such a long wet fall mud everywhere, just hard to get anything done and enjoy the outside.

Instead of putting in wood we decided to take the sleds for a ride in the state park,county trails and our property.

We put in some wood today and then I picked up another 10 bags of pellets for the next cold snap coming in. I'll stack the wood we put in tomorrow morning and then later in the day we'll put in the pellets.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I'm hoping to move all that wood this weekend with the tractor, that I have sitting in the driveway. In doing so I plan on bringing a lot of locust into the garage the temps for the next week are cold.

I'm hoping to move all that wood this weekend with the tractor, that I have sitting in the driveway. In doing so I plan on bringing a lot of locust into the garage the temps for the next week are cold.
Thanks for bringing up the locust, I'll build a small rack for inside the new garage that I can move some ironwood to before the storm.

Some of the last wood we brought in had some chitty wood in it so I'll switch to some much better sugar & red maple that we had planned on burning this winter and save the other stuff for the end of February.

We did get the 10 bags of pellets down in the basement so we're set for about 11 days on the pellets.

I don't think our neighbor put in enough wood, when I offered to help he was busy running around to comic con, he never even covered the wood and it's under about 12 inches of snow.

We put in two smaller loads of wood in today before the storm, this will give me time for plowing or a few rides on the sleds.

Attachments

• 101_2202.JPG
    101_2202.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 275
I filled the garage yesterday morning with locust, I figured it would be easier before we get a lot of snow and it gets real cold. Yesterday it was 35 and like a light rain, not the most pleasant but me and the dogs got it done in a couple of hours. Hoping to get the tractor out but I'm in the middle of putting in a master bath and closet. Just not enough time in the day.

Used the tractor this afternoon to move some wood, the weather was not very helpful it was like a wet snow rain mix. I ended up moving about 5 or 6 grapple loads before the path up hill just became to slippery. I don't have agg tires or chains, I have industrial tires which are not bad but on my last pass going up a slight hill the tractor slipped sideways and I figure it was enough for the day. I ended up having to get a running start with the tractor to get up which is not something I like to do or figure is a great way to hurt myself or the tractor if something goes wrong.

Used the tractor this afternoon to move some wood, the weather was not very helpful it was like a wet snow rain mix. I ended up moving about 5 or 6 grapple loads before the path up hill just became to slippery. I don't have agg tires or chains, I have industrial tires which are not bad but on my last pass going up a slight hill the tractor slipped sideways and I figure it was enough for the day. I ended up having to get a running start with the tractor to get up which is not something I like to do or figure is a great way to hurt myself or the tractor if something goes wrong.
We're back here in the woods with the pines so we went with the ag tires since not much grows under the pines. I'm glad we went with the ag tires, so far I haven't needed any type of chains.

I was in town today so I picked up another five gallons of diesel so we have a total of 15 ready for the 4540. I'll have to watch out for the sleds when plowing, they really don't care about the people plowing on our street.

StormTotalSnow.png

I'll need those ag tires with all this wet heavy snow coming in, 12 - 18 for our area and maybe the county seat... @woodey .

I like ag tires but I figured when mowing they would tear the yard up pretty bad that is why I went with the industrial tires. I just figured it was one of those days everything kinda working against you frozen icy ground, wet snow rain mix and up hill tractor path. I did get some wood moved. The way this winter has been if the rest of the wood sits where it is at I won't be to upset sooner or later it will get moved.

View attachment 238650
I'll need those ag tires with all this wet heavy snow coming in, 12 - 18 for our area and maybe the county seat... @woodey .
It will be interesting to see how accurate this forecast is. Looks as though I we will get enough snow and will be able to bank it up against the old stone foundation- free insulation:) ! I have a daughter in N.H. and they are under a Blizzard watch- over 18" of snow and 41 MPH wind gusts possible.

It will be interesting to see how accurate this forecast is. Looks as though I we will get enough snow and will be able to bank it up against the old stone foundation- free insulation:) ! I have a daughter in N.H. and they are under a Blizzard watch- over 18" of snow and 41 MPH wind gusts possible.
It's been spitting some wet snow but not much yet, anything your way yet?

No cutting or moving wood this weekend. We're supposed to get a few inches of snow and half inch ice. Now two inches of rain. Then 5 above tomorrow night with 30 mph winds.

My first 2019 work was Friday the 11th when the ground finally froze enough around here to get into the woods. I cut a couple small dead standing elms and I'm burning a bunch of it tonight. A week or so split and stacked and it's ready to go.

This past Friday I got back in the woods and cut some small dead standing Black Locust and a large Cherry. The top of the Cherry broke off during a storm this summer and the bottom half of it is still standing, which I haven't cut down yet. It looks very infested with ants but the top part I cut up the other day has no ant damage at all.

Hopefully I can get back in the woods this week. It's snowing pretty hard here at the moment with about 6 inches on the ground, by far our biggest snowfall of the winter so far. They're predicting 12-16 inches by the time it's done but we'll see. It's going to warm up this week again so the 12 inches of snow we might get would melt/compress into 7 or 8 so I can drive through that easily.