Work Done In 2020

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The plan today is to move about 2 cords worth of splits from my back yard pallet stack and into the woodshed, its been pretty mild here and the yard seems dry enough to drive on with the machine, might as well take advantage of the weather and start my mid spring chore of loading up the wood shed early, I'll post pics later since I haven't done much posting recently.

Reactions: heavy hammer
None at all, I think in the last four years the only game we watched is the Super Bowl and that's more for the commercials.

95f4a824-47d6-4b7f-ae4d-6c402dd5c574-jpeg.256371
3E8A3E68-222D-4ED6-89B6-2F884D723E61.jpeg
Just started my wood pile. Split with the Fiskerx27 and wheel barrel.

Attachments

• 95F4A824-47D6-4B7F-AE4D-6C402DD5C574.jpeg
    95F4A824-47D6-4B7F-AE4D-6C402DD5C574.jpeg
    274.6 KB · Views: 1,074
  • 2FAA94CF-C743-4D4A-95A1-F322D2A6090E.jpeg
    2FAA94CF-C743-4D4A-95A1-F322D2A6090E.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 149
Kennyp2339 nice pics! I have been been carry all my wood lately since I just don't feel like destroying the yard. Just me carry to fill the garage back up and running the younger lab my yard is taking a beating. My daughters don't even like driving their new power wheel lately since everything is so muddy. We got a couple of inches of snow last night just to have temps around 50 today. I just washed vehicles and cleaned the garage. Last night while working the younger lab in the woods he tore his right paw pad open real bad so it was a quiet day for the dogs.

Resized_20200202_183151_5673.jpeg

Kennyp2339 nice pics! I have been been carry all my wood lately since I just don't feel like destroying the yard. Just me carry to fill the garage back up and running the younger lab my yard is taking a beating. My daughters don't even like driving their new power wheel lately since everything is so muddy. We got a couple of inches of snow last night just to have temps around 50 today. I just washed vehicles and cleaned the garage. Last night while working the younger lab in the woods he tore his right paw pad open real bad so it was a quiet day for the dogs.

View attachment 256404
That sucks @heavy hammer , I hope your dog is feeling better.

@heavy hammer wow, that's horrible, hope the pup can take it easy to heal up fast. that 66" snow bucket is the best, 9 loads got me almost there, needed 10 but that's all I had split and stacked so far, needed to empty the pallet rack, its been so wet the past 2 years here that the ground settled and my pallet stacks had a bad lean to them, time to make space in the splitting area and get ready to regrade if it ever dries out.

I don't know if things will ever truly dry out. He is a tough little guy he has torn his paw pads before working to hard. Last winter I had to put him in little booties for a few weeks after a day of retrieving he opened up a couple pads on his paws. It was very difficult to get him to heal since he is so active and the ice kept tearing them back open every time he ran outside so a set of little paw boots and he was good. I appreciate the concern, in his 7.5 years he has tore him self up a few times. He just doesn't have an off switch or an easy mode it is full go all the time. I think he has a small diesel motor for a heart.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Nothing. Mud mud and more mud. I need to move a holtz hausen up to the shed but it’s to damn muddy to do anything. It’s February right?

I've been putting off outdoor stuff, but today I have to cut some wood shorter for the cookstove. I guess it has been a weird winter everywhere.

The forecast here for the next week or so doesn't have temps very cold maybe a little freeze but not enough to keep anything frozen just more mud and wet conditions. I had to take the poor pup in today to get his paw sewn back together it just wouldn't close up and he was still limping. Plus he has a couple of lumps one on the top of that paw and one on his back right leg by his knee that they want to remove. Hope the results come back benign for the little guy.

The forecast here for the next week or so doesn't have temps very cold maybe a little freeze but not enough to keep anything frozen just more mud and wet conditions. I had to take the poor pup in today to get his paw sewn back together it just wouldn't close up and he was still limping. Plus he has a couple of lumps one on the top of that paw and one on his back right leg by his knee that they want to remove. Hope the results come back benign for the little guy.
I hope the test results come back with some good results for you.

I appreciate it. The results for my older lab a few months ago were good so I'm hoping for the same. It sucks that my boys are getting up there in age, but they have had a good bill of health this far so I'm confident it will continue.

I cut a few weeks of cookstove firewood to length. I can't wait to not need to deal with this next season.

Attachments

• 20200204_123901.jpg
    20200204_123901.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 20200204_123913.jpg
    20200204_123913.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 178
The cut ends make decent fuel once a fire or coal bed is established. They don't work well for starting a fire.

Attachments

• 20200205_081123.jpg
    20200205_081123.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 20200205_081121.jpg
    20200205_081121.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 147
The cut ends make decent fuel once a fire or coal bed is established. They don't work well for starting a fire.
It’s all btus. I save and burn pretty much everything that a log can offer. I use all the splitting scraps to start fires instead of super cedars or fat wood. It’s amazing how much energy a single log contains.

It’s all btus. I save and burn pretty much everything that a log can offer. I use all the splitting scraps to start fires instead of super cedars or fat wood. It’s amazing how much energy a single log contains.
My cookstove is picky on start up so I use a product like super cedars. It's nice to warm the flue with a nearly smokeless product. I also have a few hundred lbs of cutoffs sitting around my property from cutting wood shorter to fit the cookstove.

That's why I like the cedar poles they are very dry and you can start a fire from just the small pieces when splitting them up no paper needed and the pieces are thrown away every day at work free kindling/ fire starter material.

I filled the garage back up yesterday afternoon and filled the kindling barrel back up. It was pretty cold last night I saw 4 at about 1 in the morning. The house was very toasty throughout the night. Were supposed to have temps back in the 30's and 40's now so back to mud. My younger labs paw is healing nicely and his lump came back noncancerous. It was quiet being out in the woods and carrying wood with them in the house. But he should be good for the coming weekend.

Since it was nice out today I decided the chimney/pipe would get cleaned on the wood stove inside and out. Tomorrow I'll do the same on the pellet stove.

While putting in a couple loads of wood today, I noticed one lug nut was missing on the utv trailer tire we use so we made a trip to Advance Auto and purchased three.

I'm hoping this week that I can fell two maples that are damaged that are just off a secondary trail on the house property.