Work Done in 2021

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I finally took care of the uprooted Cherry and the Yellow Birch which had the top partially broken off by some wet heavy snow. I took did the Cherry first and the Yellow Birch last, once I started breaking through the snow, I called it a day. There's still 16 inches of snow in some spots but this warmer weather coming in should get rid of most of the snow in the gully.

Attachments

• 104_1559.JPG
    104_1559.JPG
    261.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 104_1560.JPG
    104_1560.JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 104_1563.JPG
    104_1563.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 104_1564.JPG
    104_1564.JPG
    248.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 104_1566.JPG
    104_1566.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 104_1567.JPG
    104_1567.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 114
@Caw send the young man over here, I have tons and tons of rounds for him, also get yourself a used tire (18 or 20" rim size) and put it on that chopping block, you would be amazed how how much time and bending over you save by not fetching the splits that fall off the chopping block.

82D41232-BB4A-4658-8F93-2F9D7BFA20AE.jpeg
Got a little bit more done, lost some time due to a chainsaw bar issue, but got it fixed and working again, today I would like to get through 3 quarters of the remaining wood in this pile, also the foreman from the tree co we use called and asked if I could take the last load on Monday, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel lol, this was def one of the biggest wood hookups I’ve gotten in a long time, will top out at least 12 full cords (7 truck loads) or 3 years at 4 cords a year on top of my already 3 year stash so I’ll be 42 when I need more firewood lol.

I tried to do some splitting yesterday but I broke the bolt connecting the wedge to the cylinder (twice), so I took the detent valve apart; springs & ball bearings went flying. I was able to find everything but one ball so after locating a replacement I now need to get it bolted back together & try it out.

0A02BE25-B702-4CCC-8167-F8D13519663F.jpeg6F984D50-55A5-4BA2-8D4B-6768DCAF912E.jpeg

1616250909913.png

1616250963032.png

Well I pulled the trigger on the expensive delivery of split wood. This load was $750 delivered (Canadian), and was advertised as 2 cords. I'll be stacking it out today, so we'll see. I'm not sure by looking at it that it will be a full 2, but I do have a sense of relief about my wood situation for next winter regardless of what it comes out to. The bark has fallen off most of the pieces, and I can tell it will be dry enough for next winter.

Once I get this stacked out, it will be back to splitting the ash. Hope you all enjoy your weekends :)

That outrageous those prices but people pay it especially if it is to be delivered.. Here in the city red oak is 650 per cord and that is a lot of money for one cord of wood...So all you wood cutters are working hard but saving a lot of money in buying wood..If I had a wood cutting business I would be out there selling it from the highway. Enjoy your nature trips to cut wood and celebrate how much money you saved your family by heating your home..Good for you...clancey..

That outrageous those prices but people pay it especially if it is to be delivered.. Here in the city red oak is 650 per cord and that is a lot of money for one cord of wood...So all you wood cutters are working hard but saving a lot of money in buying wood..If I had a wood cutting business I would be out there selling it from the highway. Enjoy your nature trips to cut wood and celebrate how much money you saved your family by heating your home..Good for you...clancey..

$650 a cord sheeeeeit I'd deliver it pre split for that price! I've got 4 cords for ya. Only a 2,000 mile drive.

Reactions: JimBear
That's a pretty nice set up you have and what kind of syrup do you make like pancake syrup and that sells for a high high price so between the wood and syrup you are working hard but tending to your love ones support as well--Good for you...Yes I think I will drive miles to get wood for burning then sell it outside this city myself for 650 a cord--lol lol--terrible price here in the city..I will just stand on the highway with my pick up truck and sign selling wood with my cane..and of course let the people load themselves...I am too old..lol clancey.

Yep working well. I started at about 11 am today with about 27 gallons and I'm down to about 8. So almost 5 gallons/hr.

I've made 1.5 gallons of finished product so far and expect to get another half from this. Possibly more sap tomorrow we'll see but tomorrow is definitely the end of the season. Going to be 60s/30s moving forward. I might make some hard candy with the last little bit of sap.

The only variable is what's happening to my driveway under the evaporator lol. It's a full 8" cinder block and a layer of firebrick on the bottom so I think it'll be fine.

Here's what I made last week...8 x 1 pint jars. Nice dark amber. We had it with pancakes this morning! Buttery with a medium maple taste. I could probably sell it for $75 a gallon but we make it for our own use and to give to friends. Its a labor of love.

20210314_203458.jpg

Bonus question: what kind of wood is my kitchen table made out of???

Yep working well. I started at about 11 am today with about 27 gallons and I'm down to about 8. So almost 5 gallons/hr.

I've made 1.5 gallons of finished product so far and expect to get another half from this. Possibly more sap tomorrow we'll see but tomorrow is definitely the end of the season. Going to be 60s/30s moving forward. I might make some hard candy with the last little bit of sap.

The only variable is what's happening to my driveway under the evaporator lol. It's a full 8" cinder block and a layer of firebrick on the bottom so I think it'll be fine.
The firebrick is a nice touch, I may try the same thing in the future.

My guess would be white oak, but it very well could be ash as well.

Its ash, good eye. Oak would e a little tighter grained.

I think the firebrick really helps the wood consumption as it directs all that heat back up into the pan. They add a lot of cost but are totally reusable. Here's what the firebox looks like. I used masonry bricks for the sides to save a little $. They are $0.50 vs $3.50 for firebrick.

20210304_113815.jpg

Its ash, good eye. Oak would e a little tighter grained.

I think the firebrick really helps the wood consumption as it directs all that heat back up into the pan. They add a lot of cost but are totally reusable. Here's what the firebox looks like. I used masonry bricks for the sides to save a little $. They are $0.50 vs $3.50 for firebrick.

View attachment 276822
You probably mentioned it a while back, I remember the post, but what are you using for a chimney?

You probably mentioned it a while back, I remember the post, but what are you using for a chimney?

It's just a 6' x 6" piece of snap together duct work from Lowe's that I jammed into a cinder block. It works very well it just rusts on the outside in the weather. I was going to get some stove pipe but this stuff is so cheap I'll just get a new piece next year if I need to. Next weekend I'm gonna take the boiler apart and store it all under my deck under a tarp.

Well, as anticipated, that pile did not stack out to even close to 2 cords - 1.33.

I've sent the seller a message to let him know that it came up 2/3 of a cord short, but so far no response. Ah, such is life - I knew the expensive stuff was gonna take me for a ride. Re-affirms that buying wood like that will be a one time shot for me. Way too rich for this girl. It's nice dry wood though, which I will take some consolation in next winter.

Maybe he will respond to you--its Sat and everybody seems to take off on Saturdays..,Don't give up hope just yet and I hate that when people take you for a ride as well--basically they are stealing from you because you paid their price and you find out that they cheated the amount on you...If you paid by check put a stop to it or by card see what you can do about that--I feel bad for you but I do think the person will make it right and he does not know how to measure it out...There is still hope here and you got some wood in case you might need it in due time...clancey

Maybe he will respond to you--its Sat and everybody seems to take off on Saturdays..,Don't give up hope just yet and I hate that when people take you for a ride as well--basically they are stealing from you because you paid their price and you find out that they cheated the amount on you...If you paid by check put a stop to it or by card see what you can do about that--I feel bad for you but I do think the person will make it right and he does not know how to measure it out...There is still hope here and you got some wood in case you might need it in due time...clancey
I appreciate your optimism, but these guys do know how to count - I just don't think they care enough. They sell the most wood out of anyone in town, which was why I went with them. I knew it was going to be a struggle when the guy started changing his tune this morning in my driveway. When I started questioning him about how much wood was there, he started backpeddling saying they sell it by the trailerload, not the cord (which wasn't what we had agreed to). So he knew I was calling BS and trying to alter his fiddle cause he knew it wasn't going to stack. out. Paid cash, so it's done. Like I said, tried it, lesson learned, won't do it again.

I'm going to shift gears and try to get some of my sweet, sweet ash split up small and see if I can get some of it ready to burn next winter. I was measuring MC on splits outside (so around 5*C) as I was cutting them, and some of them were close to 40%, which means even wetter once you bring them to room temp. I have a couple of rounds inside my house warming up so I can get a true MC reading to know where i'm starting with it, but I know it's green wet.