Worried over my installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FrancoD13

Jul 27, 2022
Boxford, MA
Hello...first post, but was lurking for a bit. I finally got my Lopi large flush wood insert installed yesterday (started in October)!!! The installers were a different company from my usual chimney sweep, but were recommended by the shop I purchased the stove from. They were great, had some difficulties with the liner, but nothing horrible.

I do have questions on how the insert is fitting into the opening. The surround isn't flush against my chimney. It sticks out about an inch. Not to mention the scratches and gashes on the hearth. Is the gap between the surround and the chimney acceptable? Asthetically it isn't ideal, but is this a hazard? I'm trying to post some pics, so hopefully they come through.

Just wondering your opinion. Thanks

Install pic #1 07-26-2022.jpg Lopi hearth install 07-26-2022.jpg Lopi wood stove install #2 07-26-2022.jpg

The gap on a proper installation of a modern insert is safe as long as the insert is properly connected to a full stainless liner. We can't tell why the gap is there, but a guess would be that the back top of the fireplace was not deep enough to fit the insert all the way in. Typically this is remedied by grinding out some of the rear firebrick. We can't see how the insert was connected, nor how the liner was installed, whether a proper liner was used, or whether the termination is done correctly. The scratches on the hearth are unacceptable. It should have been protected.

If there was no alternative but to have the insert stick out an inch say due to flue alignment, then a piece of aluminum angle stock can be painted black and attached to the surround to fill the gap, but first it would be good to pull the surround and understand why.

thanks. My figuring is exactly what you said about the clearance in the back of the fireplace. I mentioned this when they came to look at it before install and they mentioned exactly what you did about grinding down.

They thought it would be a real simple install and be done in a couple of hours, but there was some difficulty getting the new liner down the chimney for some reason. Eventually it came down and I'm comfortable it is properly connected. But I guess they didn't grind out the bricks in the back because they were frustrated how long it took them when they weren't expecting it.

I'm going to call them and voice my complaints. I was just wondering what is "unacceptable" vs. what is my preference.

If the depth issue and solution was discussed in advance so that is what you expected to get for the estimate, then that is a realistic expectation. Give them a call.

If you had a discussion about the insert being flush and in the end it wasn't, plus the damage to the hearth I would be pretty pissed off. I certainly would not have made the final payment until I was satisfied with the install. Hopefully you didn't pay them, or if you did hopefully it was with a credit card and you can stop payment if they don't make it right.

It sounds like the guys may have been on the clock and scheduled for two installs that day. I'd be a little concerned about liner damage if they had to force it down and were in a hurry.

It sounds like the guys may have been on the clock and scheduled for two installs that day. I'd be a little concerned about liner damage if they had to force it down and were in a hurry.
Sounds unlikely that there is intact insulation still on it, if there was any to begin with

An update. The installers came back and fixed the issue with the surround now being flush against the chimney. They were very good about it. The actual issue was the electrical conduit was placed in the back (by a separate electrician) so the width of the conduit was the issue. So I'm happy with the results now.

On the other hand I still have the issue with the scratched up hearth. Amazingly it was mostly the wheels that are built into the Lopi insert that caused this. Or so I'm told. The installers are calling around and seeing what they can do...but does anyone have any suggestions on how to treat this hearth? It appears to be a solid stone, although part of me wants to say it is concrete. I'd like to be able to find something that fills the scratches to make smooth and sealant to make all look uniform. I've been told about masonery paint, but I like the natural stone look and this would compromise that. Not sure if grinding the entire hearth is an option. Any ideas?

Lopi hearth install 07-26-2022.jpg

The scratches may sand out. Try some 220 or 320 grit paper.