Would a chimney work in this location?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamboater

Feb 7, 2012
King George, VA
I currently have what seems to be standard now in newer construction homes, a direct vent gas fireplace installed into a bump out. I was all set on putting a free standing stove on the other side of the house however the wife isnt a fan of that idea. I am trying to make the current location work for a zero clearance wood fireplace setup. I understand this would require new framing and construction to fit in the new fireplace. The bump out is 24" deep and 5' wide. I can see from my basement I beams running out to the bump out so I'm assuming it would support the added weight of a zero clearance fireplace such as the quadra fire 7100 or FPX 36. However, to keep the fireplace in the same area the chimney would run up the outside wall of the house that is only 1 story. Rest of house is 2 stories. I understand the chimney should go above the tallest roof height. If that must happen I would have quite a bit of chimney not able to be anchored to the house. I would want to have a chase around the class a. Does this sound possible? Really trying to stay with wood but I understand a pellet insert will pretty much be a plug and play setup with what I currently have after removing the Lennox 3530 gas fireplace. What are my options?

picture attached. bumpout to the right side of house

Attachments

• house.JPG
    house.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 125
Doesn't have to be higher than the highest roofline. Just 2 feet higher than anything within 10 feet of the chimney, and at least 3 feet higher than the eave where the chimney is. Or something like that. I'm sure someone else will chime in to correct me.

Yea maybe the chimney guy was thinking the whole house is 2 stories. On many diagrams it shows that my intended area is not recommended. Which I can't quite understand seems it's far enough from 2nd story to avoid smoke being trapped

There are some additional factors that might have been considered by the chimney guy...Which way is the prevailing wind coming from? If it's coming from the left, as we look at the picture, it may be forced down onto the chimney by the 2nd story roofline...It may get the same effect from the trees near the house...I really don't see why this isn't doable, tho. You will DEFINITELY need a chase for securing the chimney to the house, unless you go the extra mile ($$$$!) for a Class A chimney system, then you could use roof brace kits (fugly, IMHO)...Your chimney height is determined by the pitch of your roof. The actual formula for the 2ft/3ft/10ft rule is to take the top number of the pitch x 10 & add 2 feet...Looks to be maybe a 10/12, but you'd hafta measure to be sure. For a 10/12 pitch, the chimney height - IN INCHES - is calculated like this: (10 x 12) + 24 = 144" (12') from the highest side of the chimney where it passes the roof line. If you are less than 10 feet from the peak, the first number will be reduced by that distance (in feet). So, if you are 3ft from the peak, the formula would be ((10-3=7) x 12) + 24 =108" (9'). Also, you might want to consider reinforcing the cantilevered floor joists with concrete in sonotubes, as the ZC gas fireplaces can generally be lifted by an old guy like me, without any help, but the ZC EPA-rated fireplaces like the Quad or the Northstar weigh in excess of 450 lbs. WITHOUT the chimney added...

Status
Not open for further replies.