Would I be better off just putting in a new chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPED

Dec 31, 2007
Some of you may remember I'm trying to get a englander 30 installed and drafting properly(note nothing wrong with stove, just the flue). For right now the old franklin is hooked up while I figure out what to do. So first off I don't meet the 10/2 rule, I need at least 2 feet to do that, plus from the bottom of my stove(brick hearth) to the top of my chimney is 14 feet. So it would seem that a 2 ft extension would take care of all problems. BUT, I got up there today to measure for the 10/2 thing how much higher I had to go, and I can literally move the last flue tile around, the joint is the same for the outer block and the inner liner, and it's basically just sitting there, Now I know I have to remortar that cinder block for safety. So the other problem is my flue is 7x7 id, so it would seem non ideal for the 6" collar anyway. My cleanout door is also nonexistent....etc etc etc.

So all that being said, it seems to be safest, I have two choices, either a liner or a new chimney. Since my stove is on the top floor and I have attic access, it doesn't seem like a new chimney would be much more work...I can brick over the old thimble, not too worried about that. The issues with the liner are that I would like to go rigid if i do that, and the mortaring looks sloppy in there, so i'm hesitant on that, plus my thimble is exactly 6" ID so i may not even get the tee snout through there. So unless I'm way off it seems that a class A chimney would not be much more than a liner and may be less hassle. I'm a fairly decent carpenter, so the cutting holes and such doesn't scare me at all. By my calculations, I'd only need about 9' of double wall pipe, plus all the other components, which seems to put me at btwn 6-700 dollars. Then I'd have 5' of black pipe down to the stove. If I read englanders manual right, i need 15' minimum from the bottom of the stove. With this setup, I'll be about 16 feet and I will meet the 10/3/2 rule.

So am I just crazy to think of this over a liner? I really want this to be safe which is why I wanted a new stove in the first place, I have my family here and I want this done right. Am I missing something in how hard the chimneys are to install? I'm not scared to go roll around in fiberglass up in the attic or work on my roof, it's not that steep. I guess at this point, I'm just looking to make sure that which ever way I go will work and the liner seems a gamble with the crappy mortaring of my chimney.

Wow that was long winded, sorry, but thanks for all the great advice so far, and keep it coming.

The stove certainly is going to perform better with a mostly interior flue. And straight up is the best solution, especially for cleaning. I say go for it. It's not rocket science and there are good installation docs from the manufacturer's like Duravent. In the end you will have a safe, great drafting stove that will work much better during the shoulder seasons and a stack that will stay much cleaner as long as you are burning seasoned wood.

PS: by 9' of double-wall, I am assuming you mean class A pipe correct?

http://www.duravent.com/?page=1a.php

BeGreen said:
The stove certainly is going to perform better with a mostly interior flue. And straight up is the best solution, especially for cleaning. I say go for it. It's not rocket science and there are good installation docs from the manufacturer's like Duravent. In the end you will have a safe, great drafting stove that will work much better during the shoulder seasons and a stack that will stay much cleaner as long as you are burning seasoned wood.

PS: by 9' of double-wall, I am assuming you mean class A pipe correct?

http://www.duravent.com/?page=1a.php

Yep, class A, sorry, still learning the terminology on this stuff, gonna go hang out on the duravent site for a while ;-)

just a quick tip to maybe save you some cash.my local home depot has 36" duravent on sale for 41 bux.the black pipe kit with snap lock adapter and a 14" slip is on sale for 22 bux,and the thru the roof kit is on sale for 140 bux.

jeepin in maine said:
just a quick tip tp maybe save you some cash.my local home depot has 36" duravent on sale for 41 bux.the black pipe kit with snap lock adapter and a 14" slip is on sale for 22 bux,and the thru the roof kit is on sale for 140 bux.
Definitely know where I'm goin on lunch tommorrow, thanks for the tip!!

Yes, I agree. Install the new chimney. It will be easier and safer. And the DuraPlus brand at the HD or Lowes should be all that you need. I would suggest that you pull a permit and have the installation inspected before starting the fire.

seaken said:
Yes, I agree. Install the new chimney. It will be easier and safer. And the DuraPlus brand at the HD or Lowes should be all that you need. I would suggest that you pull a permit and have the installation inspected before starting the fire.

Yep, agreed on the permit, want to make sure i'm covered on homeowners insurance, so definitely the way to go. Hopefully they won't reassess my house ;-) Looks like the depot near me only carries the double wall, and not the triple, so will probably go with that.

Went to my local depot, they are cleaned out!!! Almost nothing left, and what they had they moved to a lil corner, all the spring stuff is out, no stove pipe at all, gonna call the one a few miles down the road. Stuff seems fairly reasonable either way, not putting it in until the spring, so if i can't snag it on sale, not the end of the world.

In a word: YES

SPED said:
Went to my local depot, they are cleaned out!!! Almost nothing left, and what they had they moved to a lil corner, all the spring stuff is out, no stove pipe at all, gonna call the one a few miles down the road. Stuff seems fairly reasonable either way, not putting it in until the spring, so if i can't snag it on sale, not the end of the world.

Am I just getting old or does it seem like you have to purchase your winter stuff in the summer and summer stuff in the winter????? I ran into the same problem yesterday looking for a new stove top thermometer. All they had out were grills and patio furniture at both Lowe's and Home Depot. I scored the last thermometer at TSC hidden in a corner with a couple of stove parts. They had lawn mowers on display in their Mass aisle.

I know what you mean, it's crazy, do I really wanna buy a weedwacker while its snowing out ;-)

You could also line the chimney with 5" or 5-1/2". Check what the out dimensions are on the Duravent is.

Status
Not open for further replies.