Would this be considered taking it too far..... wood related

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the cheapo one from Harbor Freight on sale for twenty bucks this year. Tested it against my carpenter neighbor's mega-bucks unit and they pretty much measured the same moisture content. With the pin type, since you can't hammer the pins into hardwood, you have to cut a split in half just before measuring.

I needed it because problems preluded me getting some of this tornado downed white oak onto the woodpile this year. Since a lot had been held off the ground by either limbs are landing on another tree I needed to know which trees were the driest before I hauled out the saw. Knowing which trees were getting close to twenty percent before I cut let me get a burnable woodpile done late in the summer since the woodshed is a windtunnel. Average for the pile now is sixteen to eighteen percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.