Would you pick up free pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhitnee

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2015
Central Mass, USA
Looking at CL to maybe do a little scrounging, would you pick up pine if you had a chance?? I'm seeing mostly pine on CL.

Not scared of pine as I have been educated here, but just wondering of you think it's worth the effort. Thanks!

For me it would depend on how desperate I am for wood . . . I tend to burn pine . . . but only in the Fall and Spring . . . some during the Winter, but only for an early morning reload. I have no issues with pine (mostly eastern white pine here), but it tends to burn up quickly so it's better for the quick, hot fires that are desired this time of year to take the chill out of the home.

I'm not a huge fan of it. I took a light pickup load when I helped a friend take a tree down in his yard. It was a real pain in the arse to split, but does dry fast. I always have a excess of hardwood available to me, so I may be a little biased.

Wood with a decent moisture content around here goes for $200.00 a cord. As mentioned, it is great for shoulder seasons...and your price is right.

I won't drive out of my way to get it but if it's within a 30 minute drive I'll get it.

We burn lots of pine out west but it also has higher btus than eastern white pine that is out east. Its hard to beat free but I would only get it if you have the space to store it. Many of us dont have large plots of land to store extra wood.

We burn lots of pine out west but it also has higher btus than eastern white pine that is out east. Its hard to beat free but I would only get it if you have the space to store it. Many of us dont have large plots of land to store extra wood.

Yes kind of where I'm at right now, I have land but the back yard is pretty sloped and honestly I don't want it all over the front yard

I burn quite a bit of it and like it for many reasons (smells good, lights fast, etc.), but so far I've been lucky at scoring better wood, so have not gone out of my way to get pine. If I was low on wood and running out of options, I wouldn't hesitate at all to invest the same time into getting it as any other type of wood.

Do you have room to store it? Are you expecting to have trouble finding higher quality firewood in time to be fully seasoned before your current stockpile runs out?

If the answer to both questions is yes, then get it.

If you don't need it, but have room for it, it's up to how motivated you feel.

That said, I get the impression from other posters on this site that hardwoods can be hard to scrounge for in Massachusetts because the demand is high. If that's the case, I'd be happy to settle for free pine instead of paying for hardwood.

Do you have room to store it? Are you expecting to have trouble finding higher quality firewood in time to be fully seasoned before your current stockpile runs out?

That said, I get the impression from other posters on this site that hardwoods can be hard to scrounge for in Massachusetts because the demand is high. If that's the case, I'd be happy to settle for free pine instead of paying for hardwood.

Indeed, I would burn pine all season long if that's all that was available for free. I see paying for wood as defeating the purpose I got into this in the first place. My goal is to not turn the heat on at all and not pay a cent for wood, all winter long. Starting third season and so far I've been 99% successful.

If I had room to stack it, sure.

I love burning pine in my outdoor fireplace, it burns super hot and catches your eye for sure, so yes I would pick it up....

X2. I wish I had more room. I could get lots of pine/spruce/hemlock. Simply do not have room for it.

I'd go for free pine all day long provided it was not too far or too hard to get. If it were easy to pick up and didn't have too many knots, that would be perfect.

On the other hand, knotty White Pine that I had to carry a long way to the trailer, I'd probably pass on it.

Another couple reasons to pick it up:

1. Since you're looking you evidently have the time now to process it. That may not be the case over the next 3 years. Make hay while the sun shines. A bird of pine in hand is better than 2 birds of hardwood in the sky. (I love butchering cliches).

2. I scrounged pine this summer from a couple CL people--both were taking down more trees later--honey locust, ash, and maple. All mine because I took the pine. Ended up around 4 cords total.

Have fun!

Would, and have.

I would gladly heat this joint with pine for the rest of my days. Most of mine blew down in a tornado in 2004. And heated us nicely in 2006.

Reactions: mwhitnee
My friend called today, going to check out his lot. Sounds like he has some trees for me. I should be good for this year and maybe next, so if i can get some hardwood might be better. Ill let you guys know, and I'll be calling on your expertise on tree id as i am terrible at it(for now).

My friend called today, going to check out his lot. Sounds like he has some trees for me. I should be good for this year and maybe next, so if i can get some hardwood might be better. Ill let you guys know, and I'll be calling on your expertise on tree id as I am terrible at it(for now) ==c>>

Status
Not open for further replies.