Wow! Iam not happy with my performance (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
So, as advised by experts here, last night I let the fire burn out so I can inspect the cap in the morning (I was getting a faint smoke smell from around the flue, thanks Gordo). I have a very simple access to the chimney & I decided to bring the rods with me just in case. I have to add that I 've been burning on & off from mid Sept. - to mid Oct & 24/7 for sure in the month of Nov.

My wood is split relatively small to compensate the fact that it was cut & split in early May 08. Obviously not dry enough! I just split one of the pieces & it read 25%.

There you go! Criticize ;-)

Attachments

• Bad 03a.jpg
    Bad 03a.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 544
  • Pileb.jpg
    Pileb.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 538
i'd say that's a lot of creosote for such a short time of burning - the easy answer is your wood is still not dry

i know my splits from last year are still not dry. They still sizzles when i toss them in. And I cut them all to 9 inches to compensate for only a year's worth of seasoning ( all red oak)

either that

or

you are not burning hot enough

oh btw nice bottle ;)

oh wait i'm into my third Makers Mark and am a little slow

you didn't ask a question :)

you're busting your own balls and you know your wood sucks :lol: i get it now ;)

That just came out of the cap? Did you run a brush down the whole system? Looks like the dry powdery creosote and that's better than the gooey black tar stuff. I'd probably burn a little hotter and sweep after every cord burned.

Stevebass4 said:
oh wait i'm into my third Makers Mark and am a little slow

you didn't ask a question :)

you're busting your own balls and you know your wood sucks :lol: i get it now ;)

By 11am the pipe, the stove & the "friend" :) were spanking clean!

hope your friend is a good looking young chick :lol:

Todd said:
That just came out of the cap? Did you run a brush down the whole system? Looks like the dry powdery creosote and that's better than the gooey black tar stuff. I'd probably burn a little hotter and sweep after every cord burned.

I swept the whole system (might as well once I am up there) There was no gooey stuff at all anywhere... still that is quite a bit! I thought I was diligent.

It's nothing. You're doing fine. And stop spanking your friend. %-P Rick

If that's all you got from your whole system I wouldn't worry. Sweep it twice per season for peace of mind.

fossil said:

We barely see each other during the week!

Diabel said:
fossil said:

I don't care how often you see each other bare. :lol: Rick

fossil said:
Diabel said:
fossil said:

I don't care how often you see each other bare. :lol: Rick

Man, if I dressed her...not sure if she would taste so good :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.