Wow. Some ideas for firewood sellers.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA

If you want some of their artisanal firewood delivered from Georgia, the individual "racks"(1/9 of a cord of my math is correct- 2 x 4 x 16") are only $299 each (plus shipping).

I thought it was a joke, at first. From my old home town of Atlanta.
Stuff like this is the reason why I got out of Atlanta.

That's probably the right price if you want to make a profit on firewood. The people who are buying that are probably high earners who want clean, bug and dirt free, dry, pretty wood. To their clientele, $300 probably isn't even a notable expenditure and they don't even want a cord of wood sitting around, cluttering their immaculate manicured properties.

You are looking at the free market at work.

I once briefly spoke to the kiln dried dealer in our area. Mostly sells to restaurants in the NY area. A little went to residential, people with more money than time or inclination.

That's probably the right price if you want to make a profit on firewood. The people who are buying that are probably high earners who want clean, bug and dirt free, dry, pretty wood. To their clientele, $300 probably isn't even a notable expenditure and they don't even want a cord of wood sitting around, cluttering their immaculate manicured properties.

You are looking at the free market at work.
This seems like a hidden gem of a deal. Ad states ”$2000.00 value”. Do the math. There’s money to be made here. Dish out $300.00 and reap in $1700.00 in profit. Free hand truck with each order. Anyone thinking eBay ? I don’t know about your area but here cutting edge cherry is like gold if you can find it. Sell it by the piece gift wrapped. The possibilities to make money on this deal are limited only by your imagination, and my imagination is only limited by my medication. My Grandmother used to say “If a deal looks to good to be true, grab on a quick as you can before it disappears. Buy all you can. Leverage your position if you must.” Grandma was an astute financial person who held onto her last penny until it was taken from here by knife point in the alley she called home. Just my take on the wood.

I get the potential market so if its a viable business then good for them but If you really want to laugh read "their story".

...as an adult, Leroy grew frustrated. As much as he loved great fires, he couldn’t seem to find great firewood anywhere.

Really?

Leroy spent months searching for and finding the right suppliers.

;lol;lol

Finally, we hand select each piece of firewood to ensure you only receive the best.

I'm sure.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I get the potential market so if its a viable business then good for them but If you really want to laugh read "their story".

...as an adult, Leroy grew frustrated. As much as he loved great fires, he couldn’t seem to find great firewood anywhere.

Really?

;lol;lol

Finally, we hand select each piece of firewood to ensure you only receive the best.

I'm sure.

I didn't read their ad copy but that's funny to those of us who heat with wood. I picture their clientele and see people who are looking for those picture perfect splits stacked neatly beside their beautiful firepit beside their $200k pool and their $75k outdoor kitchen overlooking their meticulous lawn and professionally maintained mini mansion. They expect their firewood delivered in a shiny new pickup by a clean cut guy who cleans every dab of dust and debris afterward. The delivery must be made after 9am and before 4pm so the property owners are away and the neighborhood is bustling with cleaning, landscaping crews along with contractors and delivery trucks.

We have a few neighborhoods where this is exactly what happens every week day. They want everything perfect when they get home and they have the money to make it happen. I worked for a few weeks in the Lloch Lloyd neighborhood in south KC and it was quite an eye opener to see how the 1% live.

Really?

;lol;lol

I'm sure.
Sounds like Leroy has got your back. What more could you ask for.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Honestly, I wish I could afford three cords of this type of wood per year. It does seem silly high to those of us who process/heat with our own wood but if I hit the lottery, I would be placing an order for sure.

I recently got a bag of seconds from a sawmill that supplies kin dried hardwood in bundles to regional stores and campgrounds. Its mostly red oak and maple with some chunks of beech. I dont know the moisture content but the wood is almost capable of lighting with a match skipping the kindling. The bags were 1/4 cord for $85 ($340) a cord. These may not be as pretty as their normal bundles but boy its easy to get spoiled burning super high quality wood. I cant justify it but if cost is no object I can see some demand.

Just south of where I live are a few ski resort towns. The Wall Street journal had an article about a couple from NY buying a ski house for $800K and then deciding they liked the area so much that they bought another ski house for 1.3 million. When someone spends cash like that for a ski place, they could care less what wood costs for the fireplace. All they want is the place to be ready when they get there with a neat dry pile of wood and not have to think about where the wood comes from and what it cost . There is local economy based around keeping these places ready. Some get leased out and the area is a hot bed for Air B&B. Air B&B folks are desperate for good ratings and if someone rents a ski lodge, they want a fireplace and pile of wood to have a fire.

That is the neat thing with e-commerce, if there is good market somewhere and good marketing, someone located in one part of the country can cash in dealing with niche market elsewhere.

Last edited:
I think I'm going to start selling artisanal firewood bundles in my neighborhood to finance this "hobby". It would sure make spending money on chainsaws, solar kilns, sheds, used old tractors and trailers, axes, etc., much more fun.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I think I'm going to start selling artisanal firewood bundles in my neighborhood to finance this "hobby". It would sure make spending money on chainsaws, solar kilns, sheds, used old tractors and trailers, axes, etc., much more fun.
I would like to get into selling bundled firewood. A while back I did the math on what it comes out to per cord and I think it was around $1,200. That's gross profit before taking into account cost of fuel, bundling materials, etc.

I would like to get into selling bundled firewood. A while back I did the math on what it comes out to per cord and I think it was around $1,200. That's gross profit before taking into account cost of fuel, bundling materials, etc.
You can do better. Split and bundle as cutting edge kindling. Turn that $1,200 into $12,000. Do the math.

Over the years I have run into folks that have sold bundled firewood. In most cases the labor were sons and or daughters that got paid some flat rate versus hourly. It was fill in work and usually they used existing farm equipment. The would work out a deal with a couple of campground owners. Places like where I bought the kin dried wood seems to have taken over the regional chain stores. Sure if someone has frontage on a tourist route, they can sell if for cash out of the front yard, but the money seems to be in selling truckloads at a time to a campground and let the campground deal with collecting the cash for the bundles.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Over the years I have run into folks that have sold bundled firewood. In most cases the labor were sons and or daughters that got paid some flat rate versus hourly. It was fill in work and usually they used existing farm equipment. The would work out a deal with a couple of campground owners. Places like where I bought the kin dried wood seems to have taken over the regional chain stores. Sure if someone has frontage on a tourist route, they can sell if for cash out of the front yard, but the money seems to be in selling truckloads at a time to a campground and let the campground deal with collecting the cash for the bundles.
Exactly, I'd rather sell a pallet of bundles to one of the several local campgrounds or stores. I don't have a store, so easier to let others deal with it.

You can do better. Split and bundle as cutting edge kindling. Turn that $1,200 into $12,000. Do the math.
It also takes much more time to make the Kindling, but I do agree that there is more money per cord that way.

I'd like to take them some wood out of my stacks just to see the look of disgust on their faces from the half debarked, ugly crotch pieces, bugs etc. All while delivering it in my 96 dodge 2500 farm/wood truck that has a barn door latch on driver door. I'd laugh all the way back to the house....wood still in the back of course because it wouldnt be acceptable for dem rich folk lol.

There is campfire wood seller near me on real popular tourist route that sells softwood splits for $1 a piece. They are are a tree service.

About $3800/cord
Made in america.
Has mostly good reviews - it smeels good.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 183
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink