Wow!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkupcha

Dec 21, 2006
Ok I'm just a little excited. I have a Napoleon NZ6000 fireplace. Has a hugh 4.5 cubic foot firebox. Have never been able to get it hot enough to clean off the glass. Today I filled it with 2 year seasoned wood and let it rip. I got the cheapo metal temp gauge up to 450 degrees on the front door frame. thats pretty dang good for not being on the top and thats with the blower circulating cooler air around the firebox blowing out heat. Anyway apparently that was the magic temp for burning off 90% of the soot on the glass!
It was burning soo good that the firewash holes mounted all around the front became like flame throwers. As the fresh air came in it immediatley ignited (Iguess like secondary burn tubes) and put on a very neat show. This particular wood was just mixed hardwood like gum, maple, and tulip I find around my property. I'm burning this scrap wood because the temp here is just in the high 40's so I want to hold backk on my oak. But once I get that oak going I'm hoping to reach a door face temp of 500......stay tuned for an update later in the season.

Its good to see someone turned on by the stove experience. The more you get the hang of it the more you will enjoy the benifits of burning. 4.5 is a big fire box and should be able to handle most burning situations. Have fun.

Sounds nice. 4.5 is huge! My Kozy Heat has a 3.0, and it really throws some heat. I can't image 1.5 times that! Anyway, 500 sounds awefully hot to me for a door reading. I have had my fireplace really raging a couple of times, and barely crept past the 400 mark. There have been a couple of threads on door temps on fireplaces, with never much response or consensus on what a good door temp is. I would be concerned about overfiring if my door read 500. If the door is 500, what is the top of the firebox?

Status
Not open for further replies.