Wrapped in Plastic...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigIron

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2014
Peru, IL
I've been seeing wood stacked on pallets on my way home from work that is wrapped in plastic and then covered on top with a piece of tin. Should I be doing this? Does anyone else do this? Is there an advantage of doing this?

Thanks for the input.. Dave

I wouldn't be doing that. Wind is the best tool for drying firewood (outside of using a kiln). Wrapping wood in plastic will pretty much eliminate wind doing what it should do and may very well trap moisture. That would be bad.

Reactions: jaoneill
I've been seeing wood stacked on pallets on my way home from work that is wrapped in plastic and then covered on top with a piece of tin. Should I be doing this? Does anyone else do this? Is there an advantage of doing this?
Thanks for the input.. Dave
Yeah never going to dry like that top cover only

Actually, you are seeing a poor man's/thrifty man's solar kiln. Works just fine, as long as you have some drainage holes at the bottom. Seasons wood to 20% if a few months. Gets quite hot in there. Generally hog wire is run around the outside a pallet, attached to the pallet at the bottom;helps to keep the plastic tight, and prevents the wood from touching the plastic. Moisture comes out of the wood, rises, condenses on the plastic and drips to the ground. Good to have a piece of wood across the center top, so the plastic on the top is at a slight angle so water runs to the sides and then down the sides.

Several people here are trying hillbilly kilns this year so maybe we will have real data in the next few months. To work right they should only be open on the bottom and sealed at the top, at least that is what folks have theorized.

It may work but i am skeptical i think air movement is as if not more important than heat. It may get hot in there but it will also be humid. But it may work i dont know i have never tried it. I am curious if that was the intention why would you cover the top and block that sun though

The approach most people are taking is to wrap the sides and top with clear plastic. That way it is exposed to maximum sunlight and closed off on top. With the bottom only being open the condensation can just run off while the inside of the pile gets quite hot. At least that is how some have described what they are doing. I like the idea and will try it myself this year on some green cut wood. For green wood I will have mostly mulberry.

I saw a few up here wrapped on the sides with a kinda pyramid shaped stack of wood at the top also plastic covered, but a 4-6" hole in the plastic at the top. Pallet on the bottom.

I bet if hot water vapor can escape out the top they could work pretty good.

I did 2 Holzhausens this summer. One with clear plastic and one with black added on top. The black plastic created higher temps.

I also added a vent at the top and you can feel the moist hot air escaping from there. I started using the wood from the one HH a few weeks ago and I am very impressed with the way the wood has dried/seasoned. No rot whatsover.

Unfortunately I dont have a MM so I have to rely on my gut feel. I feel that for a HH where the centre will get no sun and little airflow, this method will increase the drying process. I also believe that the top vent allows the moisture to escape and keep the wood dry.

I will do this in future again.

Status
Not open for further replies.