Wrecking snow blower engine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Dad put 10w30 in during oil change.

Manual calls for 5w30.

I was going to switch the oil when Dad wasn't around, but it snowed before I got to it.

What harm will I do if I run it one time for an hour or two on the 5w30.

5w vs 10w - in the cold 5w is easier to pull over as flows better, when up to operating temp 30w is 30w so as above no foul no harm

Ya these don’t even pump the oil like your car they just splash it around. I think even if you had straight 40w it would be ok with a slash system. Now a aircraft or auto engine where it has to pump the oil is a whole different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
No problem at all...

You're good. No worries. I switch my air cooled motors to 5-30 synthetic in the winter for startup lubrication.

Last edited:
Synthetic 5-30 is good from -20 to 140 degrees ambient temps, the widest range according to Briggs.