X25 or X27

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No it doesn't. If this were true why are there no 40" handles? Or 42"?
It clearly does. If you can swing a short handle with the same angular velocity as a long handle, the end of the long handle will have more speed to it. As to why the x27 is the longest of the fleet, who knows. Maybe they thought that any longer would sacrifice accuracy. Also, whether or not that extra energy is needed is in the air.

It clearly does. If you can swing a short handle with the same angular velocity as a long handle, the end of the long handle will have more speed to it. As to why the x27 is the longest of the fleet, who knows. Maybe they thought that any longer would sacrifice accuracy. Also, whether or not that extra energy is needed is in the air.

Good point on angular velocity - is that what used to be called centripetal force? I was thinking f=ma. So if you're exerting the same force, I'd rather swing something lighter a bit faster. I think it takes less overall work from your body, and you're exerting the same F, as long as in either case your accuracy stays constant.

Hence why in my mind I think to myself - ok I can pickup my 8lb maul and make solid contact with some speed, the weight of the maul is noticeable. whereas I pickup my x27 and it just seems like I'm not doing work just swinging because its noticeably lighter. I would probably be in the minority and be interested if someone had like a "newton meter" or something that measures force - I'm not a physics expert, but it would be cool to strap that on and look at your average force exerted on the log with both a maul and an x27 - constants would have to be wood species, grain orientation and type and accuracy would have to be as constant you could make it. It would be neat to see which exerts more force.

Angular velocity is measured as a unit angle per unit time. Degrees per second, for example. Revolutions per minute would be another example. If the hour hand were traveling at the same angular velocity as the longer minute hand, the tip of the minute hand will have to go farther in the same time as the tip of the hour hand.

I do it because all I'm doing is splitting it up so I can get it up to the hydraulic. Sure, the hydraulic goes vertical, but it's way easier taking the half a dozen whacks to break it into quarters.

Yeah but like av said. The x25 is more of an all round axe / maul / hatchet.

Once you have blasted through a few cord then the worry of toe amputation is reduced to near zero. I have it down to an art, hell I was practising 'Lumber jack' games in the bush with it the other day. Could give you a shave with it from ten yards away.

I just made a box of kindling today with the 25. Easy money.

Although : The type of wood plays a huge factor as does the mortality of the tree.

Heck av some wood that will spit if you simply drop it onto another split.

Thanks for all your comments. The X25 is what I have ordered along with the sharpener. Should be here tomorrow. Thanks again.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
No it doesn't. If this were true why are there no 40" handles? Or 42"?
Because you can't get any speed with a long handle unless you reduce the head weight. If you reduce head weight, it won't plow through when it encounters friction in tough rounds. That's why I grab the 8# maul when the Fiskars stops in the round and gets stuck. So yeah, all this stuff is a trade-off to some extent...
Are some or most of you splitting on the ground? And if so, why?
So I can get more speed. ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.