XXV (HARD TO CLOSE) FRONT DOOR

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XXVMAX

Jul 26, 2008
central me
Hi,

just got my new XXV with the 6in. top adapter, what a great setup. my only question is,....the front door closes pretty hard. I noticed the ash bin unit (that folds down) was slightly binding on the right hand side. I took a dremel tool and removed a VERY LITTLE off the curved piece of metal that actually presses against the front door. It looks to me like it is designed to press against the door to seal this ash bin portion of the stove, but i dont remember it being that hard to close in the store when i was looking at it. I actually grab the door at the top left and the corner of the stove to squeeze it closer so the latch is close enough to grab. Anyone else notice this ? Is this normal to ensure a good seal at the ash bin location ?

thanks,

Jim

hey jim, jim here.....just got mine today. i noticed the top of the ash bin (curved top part) is actually about an inch or so curved out towards the door. I was wondering if that is normal also? does yours look like that. also your name has vmax in it.....you a rider of the beast? i have a 94.

jim h.

Hi Jim,

Congrats on the XXV !! yes that metal is curved.... if you notice, on the ends of that curved piece, there are slots cut in each end of the metal. I believe that is so the metal can flex slightly with the pressure from the door. I actually noticed the spots on the inside of the door where this piece hits. unfortunately, mine didnt quite line up or the right hand side., so i made a minor adj, but it seems to me an excessive amount of force required to get the door to the point where you can latch it.

I dont have a vmax, always wanted one of the beast.....the new style really looks cool too....i do have a vmax snowmobile if that counts for anything..ha....

jim

thanks for making me feel better.....even my brother in law was "what ". i did notice that all the lines in the stove (front bottom shelf) lined up....so i figured it should be ok. a vmax snowmobile is fine! i to like the new bike. some friends of mine were invited to the unveiling. a little rich in the pocket book for me right now! LOL
jim h

one other observation upon uncrating and installing the stove. When hooking up the temperature probe to the back of the stove, i couldnt find anywhere in the manual regarding the positive or negative posistioning of the wires.....even the wiring diagram didnt indicate this. so the first time i put the stove into test mode, to make sure the auger was working......NOTHING HAPPENED....was getting ready to tear apart the back of the stove to check the bearing on the auger when.....i thought maybe that temp probe is on backwards???? sure enough ..after swapping it around....the stove worked fine....

hope this helps someone else.....

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.